Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Progress?

Posted by: user466742 | Thu 25th Oct 2012 17:32 | Last Reply

Right, bit of history...I used to play pitch & putt golf when i was a kid for a few years...stopped playing in my early teens & just picked it up again last July time.

I've gone from hitting 110's roughly down to a handicap of 17 with my lowest Score to date of 11 over.

I average about 18 over most weekends when I play a round. But never feel I've played all together too 'well'...generally either my putting or driving lets me down...nothing ever seems to come together & click...I've hit 11 over a few times & each time I've left the courses feeling like i could of gotten round in a low single digit..(had 3/4 3 putts & some fat shots during these rounds)

So my question is, is that progress pretty average? Can i expect to get down to a single figure anytime soon or would it take 2-3 range visits per week & a load of lessons? (I had 3 lessons last year to get me back into the swing of things (no pun intended!)

Cheers,

Andy

re: Progress?
user43763
Reply : Thu 25th Oct 2012 21:49

I had a similar scenario, i think this is similar million dollar industry of breaking 80, do you play the same course or different courses, hows your short game and long putting. my pro has given me 3/5 of the last lessons on chipping and long putts. He says its the area amateurs practice least and tour pros practice most. If you think about it it makes sense, how many times have you watched on the TV and the guys near the top have chipped in on a couple of holes to birdie the hole and move on. just a few thoughts. oh and the chipping lessons have meant that i hole out regularly and if not i leave it short for an easy one putt.

user466742
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 07:42

I play a Few courses, one an inland links (very windy but I usually score well here even with my high ball flight) & quite a few parkland..probably 5 different courses overall.

I'd say my short game is pretty decent. I chip in every once in a while & if not its generally no more than a few feet or so away..not every time but id say the majority of the time. I do 3 putt normally 1ce or 2ce a round but I don't mind that too much. The last round I had I putted 35 times which included 2 3putts. I'm glad I'm not the only one in this situation! I guess a few lessons would help. I use clubs that are recommended for a low handicap golfer but get on pretty well with them. I know there are game helpers out there but I really like trying to shape the ball. Once I get to a low enough handicap they'll be shopped in for a set of blades! (I can dream)! Anyone know the secret to breaking 80 consistently? I can't wait for the first time.

user99350
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 14:35

Hi Andrew, it's usually the short game that gives you that 80 and below and if your managing 36 putts and better and your chipping is ok putts then what is your problem in achieving GIR? is driving wayward ? your mid irons?. Whatever it is that is what you need to practice.

user99350
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 14:35

Hi Andrew, it's usually the short game that gives you that 80 and below and if your managing 36 putts and better and your chipping is ok putts then what is your problem in achieving GIR? is driving wayward ? your mid irons?. Whatever it is that is what you need to practice.

user466742
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 16:00

Yeah, my driver has let me down recently. My Long - Mid irons are pretty consistent. Generally hit my 4iron with a small controlled 5-6 yard fade around 220 8/10 times with the occasional pull (up until the weather turned on us about 2weeks ago)...but for some reason i can only really hit my driver about 250(including about 5-10 yards worth of roll out depending on the weather & it usually has a 10 yard fade)...occasionally i will nut it 300 but that's really VERY VERY rarely! It's usually pushed or slices when i miss hit it which is probably 50% of the time...May well have to invest in a full 18 playing lesson & see where the Pro thinks i can gain shots but i definitely know i need to sort my driving.....When i got fitted for my irons my swing speed was averaging 86mph using a stiff Mizuno 6 iron, think it was the MP64 using the Mizuno telemetry gadget thing so i know the stiff shafts i have throughout my bag should be right...i wasn't fitted on a beefed up American golf matt/screen!

Thanks for the replies chaps.

user43763
Reply : Sat 27th Oct 2012 14:28

I Dont think breaking 80 depends on driving too much. i know guys who are single figures and would rather use a putter off the tee than the driver. I am a pretty solid driver tho and it does make the course a lot shorter when you can hit it quite far. do you loose many balls during a round? Defiantly get the lesson, it could be the start of great things, good luck anyway

user466742
Reply : Mon 29th Oct 2012 09:20

Yeah I've hit a few low 80's with using just irons round a half decent length course but being consistent with a driver would be nice! Probably lose a ball every 2/3 rounds on average. Will definitely be investing in a lesson or 6 soon! Cheers for the replies!

user466742
Reply : Tue 30th Oct 2012 12:56

yeah i agree with you about the putting Dan. I shouldn't be happy to 3 putt once or twice a round but it's a marked improvement from where i started. I don't normally warm up on a putting green which probably doesn't help. I don't even spend any time on a range before playing normally. Maybe if i invested an extra hour before each round for a quick bucket & then 45 minutes on the putting green it will make a difference. I will get to a single figure...one day!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top