Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Changing irons

Posted by: user350435 | Tue 23rd Oct 2012 15:47 | Last Reply

I have had a set of TM burner plus irons for about 2 years, they're a little on the chunky side but other than that they're fine. However I tested some ping g15s yesterday and thought they were really nice. Is it worth changing or am I being daft as I know 2 years is not a long time in golf club terms.

re: Changing irons
user43763
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 18:17

I have the g15's, did you have the TM's custom fit because the ping custom fitting is the best out there. i find them great and am just getting used to them and they are a lot nicer then the wilson ci7's and the ping raptures i have. i do miss the feel and sound of a titanium face but my pocket is much happier i got the g15's, very forgiving and long, a lot of offset for me but really glad i got them. some good deals on them at the minute too

user16106
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 19:25

Matt if you can justify the extra cost and you think they will improve your game then go for it. Is there anything wrong with your TMs or is it just a change is good as a rest. My current set cost me about �120 for 2nd hand Callaway X-14s ive just invested �30 to get them regripped. I love them. Have a think first is it you just gone off the boil or have you outgrwn your clubs and a new set will take you to the next level. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user250721
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 20:53

Matt

Playing to a similar standard to you and speaking from experience i'd like to suggest that the money be better spent on lessons?

In the past folk have come on here and asked similar things then got funny when people suggest lessons as they want new irons, if thats the case and your set on new irons then get into a store for as long as possible and pick the ones that best match your ability and which ones you feel most comfortable with. Dont believe all the marketing hype around clubs and select carefully, it is a big investment.

user43763
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 12:36

I should of mentioned that when i bought the Pings at my local pro shop, he also included a free lesson. This lesson to me was far more beneficial than the advantages the new clubs gave me. Since then i have had a lesson every two weeks and the improvements are dramatic. - Definatly invest in lessons as your clubs arent that old. IMO

user467588
Reply : Thu 25th Oct 2012 12:33

I have to agree with the lessons post. Have a lesson booked with our pro tomorrow... he intends to sort out my slice after my drive nearly had him on the next fairway, yesterday... whoops!

user127691
Reply : Thu 25th Oct 2012 12:41

Massive waste of money, the time to change irons is as you get better swapping to better player irons. Not swapping game improver for game improver, the difference between the 2 is absolutleley minimum. As said before improve and then swap the irons for something that suits your new improved swing.

Last edit : Thu 25th Oct 2012 12:41
user350435
Reply : Thu 25th Oct 2012 13:17

sound advice, cheers guys. decision made - stick with the burners!

user217280
Reply : Fri 9th Nov 2012 12:40

If you want to improve then you have to learn to play the game properly, clubs will not turn you into a golfer improvers clubs or players clubs, you will still need to execute the technique properly to play decent shots. You can't improve you game because of the clubs you use, dispite what the manufactures say, if you play with sound technique you can play with any clubs and you will keep improving, if you want to change your clubs because you fancy a change go ahead, but if you think it will make you a better player forget it, I think that is why there is only a small percentage of single figure handicap players compared to higher handicap players in most clubs, it's because most golfers believe they can become good if they get the right clubs, that is simply not the case and that is why the average handicap is around 18 or 19, if you watch most single figure handicap players their technique is much better, so therefore they hit better shots. If you want to play well, learn proper technique. Simples.

user99350
Reply : Fri 9th Nov 2012 13:24

Can't say fairer than that, though I've got to say that you have to be comfortable with the clubs you play with, whether they be blades or the larger agricultural ones(which I cannot abide, I hired a set abroad once.... what a disaster).

user217280
Reply : Fri 9th Nov 2012 15:08

I agree with that Patrick I have never taken any notice of the hype the manufacturers come out with, I have alway's picked clubs on how they look and over the years I have used cavity backed Irons and true pure blades, at the moment I have a set of Pings with a small ish cavity a set of Callaways with a tiny cavity and set of Titliest with no cavity at all, and depending on how I feel I swop and change them just for fun, and it makes no difference to my scores, other than the fact that in golf you can play good one day and bad the next, but that's golf not the clubs. But I can't use the large headed cavity backed Irons with hugh offset and soles like fairways woods, not that there is anything wrong with clubs, but just because I hate the look of them.

user246626
Reply : Sun 11th Nov 2012 18:58

If you do decide to change clubs then now is the best time to do so, especially with winter rules now in place you can tee the ball up a bit and it will help you get used to the clubs better

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top