Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Freakishly Longer - TM announcement soon

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Tue 23rd Oct 2012 13:43 | Last Reply

TaylorMade have been building up the marketing campaign around Sergio and Freakishly Longer launch for the last few weeks.

The live announcement is now only 20 mins away and despite the secrecy the rumors seem to be about new RocketBladez Irons with possible RocketFuel shafts ?

https://twitter.com/TaylorMadeGolf/status/255284733511073793

http://instagram.com/p/QhXe6jyO0z/

Last edit : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 14:33
re: Freakishly Longer - TM announcement soon
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 14:15

There you go, RocketFuel was incorrect but RocketBladez launched with 'SpeedPocket'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOEGkJjSJbk&feature=plcp

user250721
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 14:46

I really dont know how I feel about this. Yes they look good. Yes they may give you extra distance. But as ever, for me personally, will be priced massivly out of range for me, and many others. For this reason I can't get excited about them. The End.

user24437
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 14:50

Load of rocket ballz

user52922
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 17:46

This is not new technology, Confidence irons with this slot were around in the seventies and were very powerful because of the trampoline effect.

user127691
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 13:08

Surely as with the trampoline effect on driver faces this is just going to get banned soon anyway, surley? All that will happen otherwise is this will get too a point where no one will hit a driver just trampoline faced 3 woods sending it miles.

user24437
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 13:54

Not really Gary, it's known as the law of diminishing returns. A drivers 'trampoline' effect is strictly limited at the moment (the CoR) as it's only really effective when you have a large surface area to work with. The fairway woods and hybrids can't really use this effect as the face is relatively small. As for the irons it does have some effect but the face has to be of a certain thickness to retain it's structural integrity and, the thinner the face the less control you get. So you could get an 8 iron that even I could launch 180 yards, but it will be impossible to get any spin on it (not just for stop on the green, it's necessary for trajectory as well), something I'd rather not sacrifice.

user127691
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 14:30

I agree with that Tim, in the sense that there is only so far the technology can go, but I very much doubt the guys at TM have allowed the engineeres to release these products at the optimum and final usefull setting. How are they going to relase the new version next year thatgives you another 5yds and so on and so on.

Also not a mechanical engineer so not exactly up on all this but with the slot only being at the bottom, and effectivly only the sides and top being restrained would the flex being at the lower portion of the face not only increase ball speed but also increase trajectory aswell? Would the ball not in escence be sprung outward but upwards when the face flexed back?

I see how the theory works for a driver as this is easier to picture as this is in effect a trampoline but with the irons and the woods I'm not even sure how the whole thing works!!!!

Last edit : Wed 24th Oct 2012 14:32
user127691
Reply : Thu 25th Oct 2012 12:51

My playing partner has brought a rocketballz 3 wood and it has ruined his game. He insits on hitting it off every tee saying it goes just as far as his driver and is easier to hit!!!!!! Not by what I'm seeing, it may go as far if he gives it full tata's but by wolloping everything full wack he's ending up all over the bloody golf course.

user99350
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 14:37

Don't believe the hype.

user16106
Reply : Fri 26th Oct 2012 17:54

There seems to be a lot of sceptism regarding these clubs from the peaple in the know. Is it that you have heared it all before. Is it just taylormade or do all the big boys have these claims every season. Having not purchased a new set of clubs since 1997 I dont follow with any great vigour the current trends and claims with new products. Do they seem to good to be true? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top