Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

McIlroy about to join Woods at Nike

Posted by: user354092 | Tue 23rd Oct 2012 12:24 | Last Reply

Hello all,

Rory McIlroy is rumored to be on the verge of joining Nike, but I have also heard rumors of Adidas signing him as well! He will get a reported $250 Million over 10 years.

Do you think this is a good move? Did not seem to harm Woods too much. Is the money in golf getting silly?

Full story - http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4772/Are_Woods_McIlroy_about_to_become_stablemates.html

re: McIlroy about to join Woods at Nike
user43763
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 12:40

I do think that would be a good move for Rory, Nike have always strived to make their equipment as personal as possible, i think this is partly to do with the fact that they didnt know an awful lot about golf equipment before signing woods so they based their gear on the worlds best, in the hope that he would know what he was doing. Rory should go for it, how can it possibly hurt his career, and IMO i think hes plateaued a little this year, (his flatline of performance is still in the top 10s, please dont think im calling him anything other than world No.1). just my opinion

user250721
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 12:52

Owen/Alun

My twitter timeline has been filled with talk of this all morning.

I look at it like this. So what.

I believe Nike will take more from it than Rory will. If they were looking for the face of golf like they had wit Tiger over all those years then guess what, they have it. From Rory's point of view, apart from a load of money, I have to ask myself this. With the bags and bags of ability this lad has does it really make a difference what equipment he is going to use?? I'm sure he could come and pick my clubs up and still be World Number 1 and win majors. I know all players have a preference of kit. But is this actually down to the equipment or how much money they are making off the back of it?

user43763
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 13:13

Valid points Matt, if Rory goes on to win every major this season will people say "Look at that Rory, hes the best player the game has seen in years, and he plays for nike!" or will they just appreciate how great he really is and leave it at that? The latter i believe, no matter who he plays for

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 13:19

I think that Adidas will be more after "The Goldern Couple" angle.

Nike can really have a great run if Tiger and Rory become the modern day Jack & Arnie, and it looks like they will.

user250721
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 14:42

Lyth

I can see Nike having a good run with Rory, just like they did Tiger. I question how long it may run for though with the 2 of them involved.

Last edit : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 14:44
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 23rd Oct 2012 16:36

Nike need a new Big Name fronting them. Lance Armstrong is gone. Don't forget Simon Dyson is with them already and he is well known in Asia and the Far East. A market Nike are targeting at the moment.

user354092
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 09:19

Hi all,

Agree with much of what you say. It is just a case of McIlroy not rocking his own boat right now! Probably will just move across smoothly, but it may have a negative impact so why move for the extra cash that he doesn't need?

From Nikes point of view I think it is a good move. McIlroy is hugely popular both in the far east and the states and brings a huge fan base to Nike equipment. He is much more open with the media than Woods and that may help Nike in a big way..

user451055
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 14:19

The one thing Rory knows with a move to Nike is he can do almost anything and they won't have a leg to stand on if they try and drop him because of his behaviour. If they haven't dropped Tiger then unless Rory gets caught cheating at his sport (as per Lance Armstrong) then any other kind of cheating is fine for Nike.

Last edit : Wed 24th Oct 2012 14:19
user127691
Reply : Thu 25th Oct 2012 12:39

I think Rory will have to win about 5 more majors before he gets his own computer game. Tiger may be faded but he is still a spoting icon, I'd buy jack Nichlaus golf becuase he was the man just the same as Tiger was for a long long time.

user466742
Reply : Tue 30th Oct 2012 16:57

I've got to disagree with you Matt. Tiger woods is still the most marketable man in Golf. EA recognise this & won't be changing to Rory Mcilroy's PGA Golf game anytime soon mate.

I wouldn't say woods 'has gotten a lot worse'. He's had to completely redesign a swing that wasn't ever going to last into his late 30's as it put too much stress on his body. With a completely new swing he's still managed to win 3 times on tour this season. He may not be back to his dominating self yet, and with the emerging talent he might never get back there. But he is by no way finished in the game & I'd be very surprised if he didn't win 3+ tournaments including a major next year.

I'm not a Tiger fan btw...Think he carries himself terribly, especially his lack of regard for his fans.

user250721
Reply : Tue 30th Oct 2012 17:01

I want him to hang about for as long as possible. would love to see him win more majors.

But Nike have got this spot on. Getting their man early doors. Could be their 'Tiger' for the next 15 years.

user38216
Reply : Tue 30th Oct 2012 20:08

Judy - love your comment. Would you expect to get sacked by your employer if you cheated on your partner!! Nike would be better served looking at the next big thing rather than the big thing at the moment, but they probably are anyway!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Oct 2012 22:09

Judy, that is a very interesting point and does open a can of words in terms of morals and stance.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Oct 2012 22:09

I presume everyone saw the announcement as well today about the Titleist, Rory parting of company:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4806/McIlroy_Wont_Renew_Contract_with_Titleist_after_this_Year.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top