Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

ball dosn't travel in cold weather

Posted by: user16106 | Sun 21st Oct 2012 21:07 | Last Reply

Played a pretty good game today 84 gross after my nightmare 110 last week. One thing I did notice was that the ball was travelling a good club and a half short.( took about 5 holes to realise this ). not too much wind but fairways wet, drizzle in the air and damp greens. Does anyone else notice a drop in distance in the colder , wetter weather? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

Last edit : Sun 21st Oct 2012 22:52
re: ball dosn't travel in cold weather
user495284
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 21:26

As a complete noob, it's not something I've noticed yet. However my friend who I played a round with last weekend commented that his practise drives were falling shorter than usual and he put it down to the damp cool air. So he took this into account during the round, selecting an extra club when required.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 21:43

Yes, it happens every year.

You have to allow for this when selecting your club.

This is one of the things about playing golf in our weather!

Roll on summer.

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 22:25

What's summer Russ?

I actually change ball in winter and use a distance ball. I don't need as much spin because the greens are softer and take a ball better, plus it makes up the little bit of distance you lose. For information, I use a Titleist NXT in winter and a Srixon Z-STAR XV in the summer

user16106
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 22:31

I use a Z star at the mo Chris. What advantages in cold weather do you get from the NXT? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 23:23

Just a little more distance Dave. Don't need quite as much spin in winter due to the softer greens. Gain on one side, compromise a little on the other. Net effect is similar results to summer

user320021
Reply : Mon 22nd Oct 2012 00:53

I notice the difference aswell, exactly how much of a loss I'm not sure, but I too use a different ball for the conditions, normally a ProV1 in hard warm conditions, but as soon as the weather cools or it gets wet ( and the greens don't require as much spin) I use the Srixon AD333. consistency for chipping with a decent ball, but a bit more distance for the other clubs.

user99350
Reply : Mon 22nd Oct 2012 08:45

Most definately. Warm sunny conditions there is less air reistance, the ball core temperature is warmer resulting in a longer flight (and subsequent run). Conversely when cold and damp and the air is thick and the core temperature of the ball is much lower, the carry will be considerably less. This becomrs more noticeable with the longer irons. Chris makes a good point too. Greens are softer and so will hold. The key thing is to reassess how far each club will carry.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 22nd Oct 2012 12:59

I now use the Srixon Soft Feel golf ball for the colder months and for the other month I'm would use the Wilson Staff DX3 Soft.

I have plenty of Pro V1's and they are a lovely golf ball, but too expensive to buy new.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top