Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Long putters - rule change ?

Posted by: user446732 | Sat 20th Oct 2012 17:55 | Last Reply

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/oct/17/usgas-davis-tries-sell-anchoring-ban-tours-players/

re: Long putters - rule change ?
user16106
Reply : Sat 20th Oct 2012 18:40

Im not too up on the ins and outs of this issue, but Only around 10% of players are using them and they are supposed to make you putt better, why dont the other 90% try them. I can see the physics behind the party againt long putters but results with long stick surely havnt proven its an advantage Have they? Ive never tried one and only ever played once with an opponant with one. Has any shakers tried or used one? What were the results ? Still using it ? Dave CAC handed Geordie

user43763
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 15:27

i seem to remember that it has something to do with anchoring the club against your body, which is against some rule or something. i assume its on the same sort of principle as adding something permanent to your club to improve its performance. in this case its your body. Ive wondered for a while tho if you took a regular 35" putter and squatted down to anchor the putter against your waist, would that be ok to do. I actually do this on short putts because i feel it gives me a more consistent stroke

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 15:52

I've got no problems with the long/belly putter.

Not tried one yet but it's already been said, if they are that good then everybody would be using them!

Russ

user127691
Reply : Mon 22nd Oct 2012 14:16

There may be nothing that says the paople using belly putters are better putters than the ones who don't, but I bet if you put most of the guys using belly putters a normal putter in their hands and compared the statistics they would be muich worse without there belly putters.

If you have a good putting stroke they are of no help at all, if you have a bad putting stroke anchoring the putter instantly gives you a good putting stroke. All the bad putters turn to them and get results, they should be banned in my opinion.

user446732
Reply : Mon 22nd Oct 2012 17:54

Alun There is no restiction in the Rules on anchoring a club to your body.

Last edit : Mon 22nd Oct 2012 20:23
user80078
Reply : Wed 24th Oct 2012 17:59

I couldn't agree more Kevin. I suppose Bradley would say he was just utilising the law, whereas he was gaining a blatant advantage over the majority of the field. Shame on him!!!

user217280
Reply : Fri 2nd Nov 2012 18:05

For the everday club player, I say ok, if it helps them to enjoy the game fine by me. But for Tour pro's it should be banned along with wedges over 56 degrees, they should be able to use normal putters and they should be able to open the face of a sand wedge to play different chip shots, bring back shot making, lets face it these players are the elite of our sport.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 3rd Nov 2012 20:59

I don't personally see an issue with them. They are allowed by the rules and any player can use them if they want to. If someone is gaining an unfair advantage by using one then it is the failing of the other players who are not using it for not using the tools available to them. It's down to personal choice

What will be next? Banning mallet-heads because they are not a traditional shape? Banning hybrids because some players still use irons? The tools are available to all players, it's up to them if they use them or not

user356537
Reply : Sat 3rd Nov 2012 22:15

I'm not a fan and would never use one myself but they have been about since 1967. Why ban them now? If they are so much of an advantage why doesn't every pro use one?

Personally, I think I would be looking to put restrictions on balls and clubs first.

Last edit : Sat 3rd Nov 2012 22:15
user446732
Reply : Tue 27th Nov 2012 16:41

http://www.golfcanada.ca/professional-tours/golf-news/?articleId=5718575

Last edit : Tue 27th Nov 2012 17:04
user477305
Reply : Tue 27th Nov 2012 17:06

I think Mr Perry makes a very good point. The only issue that I can see is the use of them to create an advantage when droppin a ball a certain number of club lengths.

Also in regards to a previos comment saying about banning higher wedges etc to encourage more adventurous shots: You will find that the best players, the real elite, will do this anyway. This can be what seperates a good player from a great player. It's a game of inches after all

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 27th Nov 2012 17:10

Looks imminent.

This is some stats Nick did and maybe not such an advantage as we all think:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4910/Inside_the_Stats_The_Anchored_Putter.html

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Nov 2012 14:58

Last edit : Thu 29th Nov 2012 11:15
user446732
Reply : Wed 28th Nov 2012 16:55

http://www.randa.org/en/RandA/News/News/2012/November/Anchoring.aspx

Last edit : Wed 28th Nov 2012 20:08
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 28th Nov 2012 17:06

Quick link here - http://glfs.hk/TohK2g

user446732
Reply : Wed 28th Nov 2012 20:09

How do you get the hyper link to show as a link?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 29th Nov 2012 11:15

D H - I'll post info shortly

user446732
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 19:13
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 20:38

DH, Owen and I had this conversation in the office yesterday who can tell if anchoring is occurring or not using this method.

The link is the same as what the USGA show in the 3rd image down on the following image on the blue left panel.

https://twitter.com/golfshake/status/273787442946007041/photo/1

user446732
Reply : Fri 30th Nov 2012 23:25

The picture is not from the best angle. It can easily be seen from the side if the forearm or wrist is touching the body.

user446732
Reply : Mon 11th Mar 2013 19:52
user446732
Reply : Mon 18th Mar 2013 13:21

It seems a bit silly for us hackers not to be allowed to bring down our handicap.

What about those players who are not hackers? Should they be able to use non-conforming equipment?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top