Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Joining a Golf Club

Posted by: user455045 | Fri 12th Oct 2012 22:08 | Last Reply

Hi everyone. I am a 28 handicap and today I was feeling good and decided to submit an application to join a local club as several of my friends are members.

I went out to play and had a rubbish round ( and I do mean rubbish ) at the end of the round I wanted to get my application form back from the secretary, get off home and lick my wounds: because I was feeling useless and dejected..............I just could not hit anything, my playing partner was doing a lot to cheer me up etc!.

What do members think.......get it( application ) back and wait until I improve ??? or persevere, grin and bear it ?

re: Joining a Golf Club
user482978
Reply : Sat 13th Oct 2012 09:46

I feel a need to reply to your post John mainly as I was in your situation 6 months ago. I too was struggling to hit consistently but I can tell you this, since joining my local golf club here in Norway its the best thing you can do for your game. Just take it season by season, I think its too easy just to quit golf. It takes patience!

Sign that application, pay your money as it will be the best investment yo�`ve ever made. Unfortuantely you cant expect to be amazing straight away, its need hours and hours on the range/practice area and on the course to improve. Also dont be so hard on yourself, take shot by shot and just enjoy your round.

Keep plugging away because it only gets better and better :-)

All the best Steve

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 14th Oct 2012 23:26

Carry on and join the club. You had a bad day and this happens even if you are not a member of a golf club.

One of the benefits of being a member of a golf club is that you will play more golf. It doesn't matter if you can only play seven holes after work. When you are paying the green fee you want to make certain that you get a full round of golf in. But being a member means you can play a few holes before it gets dark.

You can also use the practice area/green as often as you want, again doing this should improve your game.

Russ

user455045
Reply : Mon 15th Oct 2012 09:50

Hi everyone.....................at my age I should realise that in life we all have bad days.The day after the "nightmare" game I was feeling less dejected and in a better frame of mind, the sun was shining and a different day. Thank you for the comments regarding the benefits of being a member i.e. practice sessions and a couple of holes etc. That was something I had not considered.

user455045
Reply : Fri 19th Oct 2012 09:14

Thanks Geoffrey,

That's where I want to be, hitting a straight ball. That has got to be one of the first things I have to get right. I was saying to a friend recently that this sport is not simply a pastime but a highly technical game ( and frustrating ), and if you gat 8 out of 10 aspects of a golf swing right you may just hit the ball. To hit it straight you probably need 10 out of 10. Anyway thank you for the encouragement ................meanwhile it's back to wallpapering my spare room. Roll on next week for my practice and next game.

user451055
Reply : Fri 19th Oct 2012 09:58

Joining a golf club not only did wonders for my game but it has completely taken over my social life! Seriously, despite the expense I have never regretted it and even if my earnings went down there is a lot of other things I would sacrifice before the membership fees.

The ability to practice whenever I have the odd hour free has done wonders for my game and playing with different people really teaches to to concentrate and focus.

As for having a bad round - that horrible feeling is a nightmare but you just have to find a way of dealing with a bad round as everyone gets them. Some of us have them rather a lot! I tend to remember that it is still better than sitting at my desk working - which is what I should be doing right now.

user455045
Reply : Fri 19th Oct 2012 10:23

Judy Stop taking me away from my wallpapering current handicap my scissors and paste pot.LOL Thank you for your comments. I never allow something ( anything ) to dominate my life . But I realise that this is simply something you cannot dabble at on an infrequent basis. I am now (Today ) looking forward to my interview at the golf club. BTW is this normal practise to be interviewed? What are they liable to ask or is it a formality that everyone has to go through?

user356537
Reply : Fri 19th Oct 2012 14:40

John, most private members' clubs still require new members to be interviewed. It stems from the days of long waiting lists when they could, to a certain extent, pick and choose their members. For most clubs, this is nothing more than a formality these days so I really wouldn't worry.

Which club are you looking to join?

Richard

user455045
Reply : Fri 19th Oct 2012 15:12

Richard,

Thanks for the info. I live in Waterlooville Hampshire. The club I hope to join is Rowlands Castle, which is only 20 mins away from where I live. It is a private club and I believe that the members " Own " the club.........whatever that means?????

user16106
Reply : Fri 19th Oct 2012 18:51

John, That looks a really good course on the web. Youve played it a few times so you know the layout. You get 28 shots to par so use them and youre score will improve. Every par you get you have another shot to play with. All longish par 4s play as a par 5. All par 5s play as a par 6. Pick a distance you like to approach from ( ie 120 yd ) and try to lay up to that distance when you are 200yd + out. Best of luck in the comps. Especially the Medal off the back tees. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user455045
Reply : Sat 20th Oct 2012 07:57

Geoffrey the wallpaper hanging is complete. It looked naff when paste and paper still damp. This morning it looks the Biz. I suppose it is like golf ............and having a perspective of where I am and what I am trying to achieve. Thanks for the you tube tip. I will look at that next week after the Painting of the spare room.

Dave CAC Thanks for the advice.

user80078
Reply : Sat 20th Oct 2012 13:59

Did you know that you have an excellent course on your doorstep in Waterlooville. (Cherry Tree Avenue) I see they are doing an all day playing deal for �25. Good luck with the membership application.

user455045
Reply : Sat 27th Oct 2012 17:17

Just an update. Had the interview. Not as seroius as I thought it might be. Got the details and social aspects of the club. Played my first round as a member today and really enjoyed the game. Not ground breaking but a nice start to being a member. I had some good tee shots sprinkled with " Shocking " shots.............but I got through the round intact and enjoyed the day. I must submit 3 cards to establish my handicap, then when I have done that I am allowed to enter competitions ( Dont laugh ) . That is a little way off. Anyway thanks to all who responded to the post.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top