Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What does golf mean to you?

Posted by: user369251 | Mon 8th Oct 2012 15:10 | Last Reply

Just wondering how much golf means to fellow golfshakers. For example, is it more than the game, the walk, time away from stress etc. Or is it more than that, an obsession etc. How seriously do some take it, and how unserious do some take it. Your general thoughts please!

re: What does golf mean to you?
user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 17:15

I cannot think of my life without having played this wonderful game. Every time we play we face a completely different set of circumstances which make this game the joyful experience it is.

The thought and technical skill required is daunting, but we still strive to make those wretched pars. Good shots will always stick in the memory, for recall at a later date during conversations whilst the bad shots and games are consigned to the dustbin of history.

user40826
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 18:15

The point every weekend when I get to the course 45 minutes before my tee off, turn my phone off an become unreachable. This game gets me away from my life for 4 hours a week and keeps me sane. I'm not sure what I did before I started playing 6 years ago.

user410273
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 18:23

Fun, enjoyment, challenge, friends, banter. And a whole host of fantastic memories going back 45yrs. Would I go out tomorrow if it was raining? Yes, for a good course. But once upon a time it would have been for any course. Is my desire for the game waning? No, but I prefer a pot of coffee, a bacon sandwich and the papers instead of a grotty course on a wet day.

user369251
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 19:36

Thanks for the responses gents. Before I started playing frequently and seriously (about 2 years ago) my spare time was spent playing 11 a side and down the pub. Now I can honestly say, i'm so happy I started playing golf. It's easier on my gammy knees, far more enjoyable in bad weather. Always trying to beat the previous score, remembering the good shots, it gives me way more of a buzz than any other sport/pastime/hobby.

user80078
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 19:44

I have played many sports during my 65 years and enjoyed them all. Time has now reduced me to just tennis and golf in the main, but as like John P, I cannot imagine not playing this most consuming of sports. It requires, power, timing and touch to name just a few, but even without these in abundance one can still get great pleasure from sharing early mornings on the course with good mates in a competitive spirit. Long may I continue to strive for those pars and the occasional birdie.

user43763
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2012 12:23

Its definatly my obsession, but have learnt that spending the right money on the right gear is better than spending a lot of money on a lot of gear. i spend my whole round having banter with my playing partners and get back to the club house and only be concerned about beating one score...my last. its a game where improvement is incredibly difficult after a point, but incredibly reqarding once achieved.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top