Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mizuno mp58 fail !! Help please

Posted by: user48641 | Mon 8th Oct 2012 07:46 | Last Reply

Hi all Would appreciate any advice here really Having use Nike ignite Irons for the past 4-5 years I traded them In to some mizuno mp58 semi blades thinking year would be ideal to help take my game to the next level. Unfortunately this isn't the case clearly I'm not as good as I first imagine and finding them so so hard to use having to club up alot as there isn't much weight in them to help etc. I've tried so hard but finally realise its probably best to go back to some cavity backs.

Can anyone recommend some good cavity backs that don't have alot of offset ? Gonna look at trading/ebaying off the mp58s. Playing off 16ish at the mo. Any advise much appreciated. Thanks Alps

re: Mizuno mp58 fail !! Help please
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 08:14

I haven't got any advice but this is the 2nd question I've seen on this subject in 12 hours!

user77012
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 08:25

Alps your swing is key, if you hit down on the ball you'll be fine , if you sweep the ball you'll struggle.

user48641
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 14:59

Thanks Dave Been trying to do that but really feels like the clubs are too light and get ahead really quick no matter how hard I try and lead with the hands etc. Will keep trying until I can decide What to move to.....unless by a miracle everything clicks !!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2012 01:47

When you bought the Mizuno's did you get custom fitted?

Russ

user48641
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2012 08:21

Thanks roberta will have have a look at the pings this weekend

Russell - I bought them off a friend who was selling them off pretty cheap and thought they would help me being better clubs etc but they just feel really light and finding I have to club up alot

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2012 23:27

Alps

Titleist CB's. I have them with KBS Tour stiff shafts and it's an awesome combination. I was going to get Mizzy MP62's until I tried them and fell in love

user21179
Reply : Wed 10th Oct 2012 10:02

Hi Alps i have just started using custom fit ap2s and finding the same problem at the range. it will take some time to adjust to the new clubs so dont panic. daves advice to hit down on the ball is spot on, i rarely took a divot with my old cobras, but i just cant hit the blades in the same way. You have to attack the back of the ball and punch with your right side to get good a strike at impact so that you dont lose loads of distance. You havent mentioned the shafts, but i would imagine that the heads are much lighter than your old nikes so to avoid getting ahead with your hands and shanking (which i was doing quite a bit of at the weekend ) you must hit down on the ball. the only other advice is to watch how fast mr perry swings a club before you consider tour stiff shafts. I have a much slower swing (infact everyone i have ever seen has) than Chris so S100 shafts were fitted for me. Keep working at it, as i intend to do and i am sure you will see the benefit in the long run. Tim

user26342
Reply : Wed 10th Oct 2012 12:26

This is a common mistake us amatuers make, we think because we can hit the 'game improving irons' well we should make a step up but I say if Westwood & other pro's are still using cavity backs then I'm not worried!

Reply : Wed 10th Oct 2012 20:55

Fast swing? Me? What on earth do you mean Tim? 106mph average with a six iron isn't that fast is it? Perhaps I do have a reasonably fast swing.....

user356537
Reply : Fri 12th Oct 2012 08:00

Alps, my son has MP58's with Project X 5.0 shafts. He hits them great but I really struggle with them when I've tried them. The difference - he has a good swing and plays off 2 whilst I struggling off a handicap of 11 and a poor ball striker with irons - I tend to sweep rather than strike!

He's due a change as the shafts are not stiff enough for him now and is looking at the PING i20's. On trackman he's getting about 15 yards more out the i20 7 iron compared to his MP58's.

Good luck.

user48641
Reply : Sat 13th Oct 2012 10:26

Thanks Tim my mp58s have s300 dynamic gold shafts. I'm sure my nikes were perhaps just a standrd regular stocked shaft do maybe that's not helping. Gonna go down range today and try attacking down as suggested but yes the heads are definately much lighter

user48641
Reply : Sat 13th Oct 2012 10:32

Thanks Richard Yes I think I probably sweep at the ball too think it may take me sum time to adjust and start punching through the ball as Tim mentioned My mates just brought the taylormade burner 2.0 irons so gonna give them a few whacks also just to compare. Will try and see club pro for some advise and see what he suggests as well Thanks guys really appreciate it

user21179
Reply : Sat 13th Oct 2012 10:50

Hi Alps I meant to write that i have s300 rather than s100 shafts in my new clubs. I to switched from regular to these which has made a big difference. With lighter heads and stiffer shafts I do feel that I need to generate the extra momentum myself. If I don't then the result is a big reduction in distance as you have said. I think that the changes I am making to the way I swing and strike the ball will only be a benefit in the long run. I just wish I could get to the range more to practise. Let me know how you are getting on. Tim

user77012
Reply : Sat 13th Oct 2012 17:49

Chris if you could just slow your backswing down to 106 mph that might help or at least to a blur!

Reply : Sat 13th Oct 2012 22:14

106 mph is the speed at the top of the swing Dave. It's the only time it's slow enough to measure

user118394
Reply : Sun 14th Oct 2012 09:22

finding this a very interesting topic i tried to swap from my game improvement irons to a set of nike split cavity with project x 6.0 shafts struggled like hell with them for a month then had to sell them on. i am looking at upgrading my irons in the near future as i am still using my 5 yr old wilson di7 s just no idea what to get,so many shiny new irons out there promising to make you a better player where do you start ?

user48641
Reply : Sun 14th Oct 2012 22:37

Thanks John and Neil This saga continues !! I managed to speak to the club pro yesterday and explained what was going on. After some time he suggested trying the ping g20 blue dot regular.... So he gave me a few demo clubs and whack whack whack they felt really good and very easy ! Perhaps psycogical etc but what the heck..... I took the 7 iron iron to try out on the course today and wow indeed from around 155-160 yards I was flushing this hitting green after green ! Amazingly I shot a 76 today !! Yes 76 that ain't a typo ! I'll post my score card on here soon ! Putting was fire today with 3 lucky birdies on the front 9.....totally gob smacked by my score. My playing partners want me to be tested for drugs !! 😄 The pings weight felt really nice and ball flew off really nice and high as well, maybe I'm just trying to find any excuse now to change clubs I really don't know but after today's round pings are definately convincing !

Chris sounds like you got a really fast golf swing perhaps load a video up for us to see and admire 😄

Last edit : Sun 14th Oct 2012 22:53

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top