Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Please help before the clubs go in the pond!

Posted by: user356372 | Sat 6th Oct 2012 17:38 | Last Reply

Am struggling with a slice/bad fade. Mostly with my driver but does appear with irons sometimes too. Can hit a draw when I really try with irons but no chance with driver! I've had 5 lessons recently and am following advice but feel like I've hit a brick wall! Playing off 12 at the minute and want to move on!

Any advice would be helpful!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR_dJ6-kpQw http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBiQddWXvY

re: Please help before the clubs go in the pond!
user52922
Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 19:15

At the top of your back swing your hands are lower than your chin which is too flat a swing plane for consistency. Your club face is pointing to the sky, which means that it is closed, something I myself do not like to see, I much prefer to see it open together with a more upright plane.

You also go across the line at the very end with the club head dipping below horizontal.

You have released the club way too early to enable a correct through the ball position coupled with an very early opening of the shoulders.

Looking at the swing as an overall entity it looks pretty good, so not a lot needed to get you swinging more correctly. I could probably solve it in 10 minutes but then the professionals work a lot different to me. Good luck anyway in achieving some progress in this wonderful game.

user356372
Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 21:55

Thanks John.

If my club face is closed at the top and I'm releasing the club too early combined with opening my shoulders would that not lead to a pull?

Is the flat back swing causing me to reroute outside the line on the way back down?

How can I stop my shoulders opening? Such a frustrating game hahaha!

user106712
Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 23:39

looks to me like the ball is too far left, try putting it just slightly left of middle.

user43763
Reply : Sun 7th Oct 2012 00:11

not enough spine angle or 'tilt' in the set up for the driver? i might be wrong but just a thought

user298481
Reply : Sun 7th Oct 2012 00:23

i am no pro so please take better advice than mine, but i think you are just laying the club off a touch at the top of your backswing

user356372
Reply : Sun 7th Oct 2012 19:01

Well I played this afternoon and went round in 7 over-very pleased. Took John's comment about how flat my swing was to the course and really concentrated on not taking the club back too inside and keeping my hands high at through my backswing. Long and straight was generally the order of the day and my short irons had a lot of accuracy and bite. A pleased man today!

user356372
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 20:27

Went to the range this afternoon to see if yesterday's straightness was a one-off...it wasn't! Compared to the last videos my hands do seem higher and takeaway much less inside. Is this what is helping? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ZSiQozANI

user99350
Reply : Tue 9th Oct 2012 12:22

It's not a bad website for good info is it Michael.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top