Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing 2 balls in Spain (Costa Blanca)

Posted by: user493862 | Fri 5th Oct 2012 12:42 | Last Reply

Hi, I have recently got a place in Costa Blanca and my Wife & I wish to play some courses but as a 2 ball, apart from Vistabella there seems to be now where that will accept a booking for just a 2 ball as Spainish courses seem hell bent on trying to squeeze as manay people as possible onto their course and always want to pair you up.

Apart from playing with friends why the hell would I want to be paired up with people I don't know and additionally if your on a golfing holiday with your Wife/Partner then you want to play by yourselves. Does anyone know of any way of avoiding this (other than playing mid july when courses are empty) or any course that you have booked as 2 ball and stayed as 2 ball!

Nigel

P.S. personally never encountered this anywhere else!

re: Playing 2 balls in Spain (Costa Blanca)
user23669
Reply : Fri 5th Oct 2012 15:34

Try Las Ramblas de Orihuela. Played that as a single a two & also a three ball. The front nine is a little rough in places but far more interesting than the back 9.

I was paired up with another 2 ball at Club de Golf Alicante

user52922
Reply : Fri 5th Oct 2012 20:31

P.S. personally never encountered this anywhere else!

It is your attitude that seriously needs addressing, Nigel. You really should pack this game in, you are not sociable enough for it.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 00:33

I disagree with you John. Nigel is looking to spend some time in his wife's company, as a couple, playing a game they enjoy in sunny climes. There's nothing wrong with a couple wanting to spend some quality time on their own together

I agree that golf is a sociable game and for those that want to they can meet a lot of people and make a lot of friends, but not everyone wants that from their golf. We even have players in the roll-up at our club who insist on always going out together (makes it not a roll up in my opinion but hey). Everyone is wired different

If Nigel and his wife want to spend time on their own together on holiday and extend that to a game they enjoy partaking in together I don't see why that requires an attitude adjustment. If my wife ever stops talking about it and actually starts playing I would be hoping to do the same thing too

user52922
Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 07:08

This kind of attitude never used to be as prevalent as it is now. Singles never want to join up, speed of play is something that has deteriorated to such an extent that very few play 36t holes in one day, like in the good old days.

Joining up with two other players does not encroach on their cozy little relationship during the game, they do not have to even have a conversation with the players that they do not wish to play with.

I am glad that I never had those kind of hang-ups.

Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 18:45

I play as a single regularly but never have a problem with joining up with another single/group. Did just that yesterday and it turned out the gentleman I had offered the option to was on the committee and had been involved in the design and build of the course we were playing. A really enjoyable round and interesting conversation with a nice gent

As regards slow play, I agree it's an issue. In our monthly medal today (3 ball groups) one guy in our group was painfully slow. We played the group behind us through on the sixth and by the eleventh I could see we were a full two holes behind them. All the things that you can think of that slow play down he was doing; not ready to play, get club, check GPS, talk to yourself about it, change club, line up shot from behind ball, three practice swings, line up shot from behind ball again, address ball, adjust stance, waggle club for 10 seconds, adjust stance again, waggle club again, take away club in 6 separate movements, complain as ball has only gone 75% of the expected distance, clean club, check GPS again, say you don't trust it, walk to ball and repeat all of the above for the next shot. As for the putting green, he stood astride the line of all his putts at 10 foot intervals and closed his eyes so he could "feel the break through his feet". Really? He didn't take on board any of the "we need to pick up the pace" comments from me or the other guy and as I said walking off the tenth tee "I've never seen someone take so long to put a ball in the water"

For those wondering, he's in his early sixties, plays off 18 and has been a member of the club for 20 years.

user52922
Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 19:05

I feel sorry for you, Chris, that sounded like agony to me. I would have had to say something to him.

Reply : Sat 6th Oct 2012 19:49

We both tried dropping heavy hints but he wouldn't take it John. I know I take my time over putts (I won't rush a scoring shot) but I could've taken three in the time it took him to take one. Crouched down on the line from both directions, standing astride the putting line (I have never seen anything like that before), practice strokes, everything. He even waggled his putter like a driver! And then in the bar afterwards he talked so much Dave Ley seemed a quiet retiring type

user26342
Reply : Sun 7th Oct 2012 14:11

Chris, The best thing you can do is report him to the club or some other players will have to endure the same!

user52922
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 11:04

Your last post, Nigel, if written by me, would have been instantly moderated for using language not fit for a forum and probably by the person whom you applauded so generously because he agreed with you.

You never made a point, so it could not be missed. I wonder if your friends in Spain are allowed to join you in a game.

Comment by moderator - I have moderated the personal insult out, even though he was nice to me. Rules are the same for everyone. CP

Last edit : Mon 8th Oct 2012 19:31
user99350
Reply : Mon 8th Oct 2012 14:42

Nigel, it may be best to book your golf when you are there and I'm sure there'll be slots when you and your wife will be able to get in and play on your own. You've got to appreciate that some courses, predominantly the more exclusive ones, call the shots and even if you're in a fourball there may be marshalls speeding you up (Villamoura old course was one where this happened to us as a 32 player society). Conversely when I used to holiday play in Lanzarote as a single I met some great people who I had to play with at the Costa Teguise golf club... it's not that bad, and it does bring home the point that we do not speak other peoples's native tongue any where near as their ability to speal ours.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top