Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

The case for GPS/DMD's...?

Posted by: user410273 | Fri 28th Sep 2012 19:45 | Last Reply

Do they really bring a benefit to the game? Do they slow the game down? What's the point of a high handicapper spending money on one?

Love them or hate them they give the one thing that pretty much every golfer seeks these days, i.e. an exact yardage to the centre of the green. There's the argument that if you don't hit consistent yardages what's the point of having one. But whether you play off 2 or 22 you will have a fair idea of what club you need for that 150yd shot, and if you know its 150yds job jobbed. You stand a better chance of hitting it close if you know you have the right club. And if you do that often enough you will a) score better and, b) less shots = less time.

But does that really mean you'll play quicker? How many players pace off from the 150yd markers, or stand looking at the 150's and ruminating it might be 165 or 175... Take the guessing out of it, and the picking a club and putting it back and its got to save time.

I've not used my Skycaddie since early summer(mildest winter we've had) and not really missed it, I think. But at the weekend I borrowed the Pro's Bushnell, the one with the laser and the GPS. In truth, although I got more competent with the laser as the round wore on it gave too many iffy readings for me. It may give an exact, to the pin, distance but its believing what its giving you. The GPS gives an exact distance to the centre. However, on 1 hole I went with the reading to the pin, I lasered the guy putting the flag back in, and knocked it in to easy birdie distance.

Yesterday saw me playing at Leeds golf club, and the other guy had a GPS. Without a doubt it made a difference for me. One hole in particular had a huge hill just before the green. If I'd walked 70yds forward, up this mini Everest, and back what would I have learned? Well the flag was in the middle and it was about.... what, maybe? The GPS gave me a reading of 100yds to the centre, and my gap wedge is 95yds. Gap wedge then. The flag was in the middle, and the ball finished 5yds short.

The GPS took the doubt out of at least half a dozen shots, may have knocked 3 shots off the score. And what a final score it was, a gross 71 against a par of 69 on a course that was playing pretty long.

Traditionalist or Luddite, you just can't get away from the fact that they can add enjoyment to a round, and shave a few shots off. After all, the game is about posting a low score. I see no benefit of sitting in the bar saying at least my second place by one shot was a genuine score as I didn't use a DMD especially if the DMD would have got me 1st place.

re: The case for GPS/DMD's...?
user437159
Reply : Sun 30th Sep 2012 16:31

i use one - a bushnell v2. i only use it when im playing away at a junior open or charity event it comes in handy quite a lot. i rarely use it on my home course because i generally know all my yardages around there.

user23669
Reply : Sun 30th Sep 2012 22:03

I have the same Bushnell as Liam. I hardly use it at my home course but use it frequently when playing a new course. You can buy a course planner but some are totaly worthless & very poor diagrams.

Ok I may not hit my 7 Iron 150 yards every time but if I know for sure that it is 150 from the pin then I should get close with my & Iron!

user451055
Reply : Wed 10th Oct 2012 12:06

I'm a high handicapper and my skycaddie saves me shots and time. I'm working hard at getting my handicap down and I will try anything to help that. I got mine second hand from the Pro (someone traded in for the latest version) so it didn't cost too much and I use it for every round. Half the time people don't even know I am using it. I just put my bag near the ball - quick glance, eyeball weather conditions, choose club and off I go.

If I don't have it then club selection definitely takes a little bit longer.

It is especially great when playing new courses. Always good to see distance to ditches etc which you might not know are there.

My other half uses a Bushnell which I use when I caddy for him. That is good too although it does take a while to get confident with it. The pressure of giving wrong yardage cos you took a reading off the tree behind the green is huge!

user474290
Reply : Sun 21st Oct 2012 20:05

its freecadie all the way for me. You're right, it doesnt help me much though,cos Im still *@~#!! But equally, it doesnt add any extra time to my golf game.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top