Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Losing distance using my driver.

Posted by: user40826 | Mon 24th Sep 2012 18:52 | Last Reply

Now don't get me wrong, I like my consistent driving. I'm the fairway for often than not, driving around 220 yards each time...

But.

Bloody hell I hit my driver far too high. I've always hit my irons high but don't lose any distance, 7 iron 150-155 yards. I like the high ball flight as I get a nice soft landing on the green.

But.

I must be losing 20-30 yards on every drive, for Christ sake I get back spin some times :0 I know the driver is designed to get the ball in the air but I really need a more penetrating ball flight. Could it be the shaft, would I benefit from a custom fit at The Belfry etc.

But.

I really don't want to lose my iron game looking for an extra 20 yards off the tee.

Any advice ladies and gentlemen?

re: Losing distance using my driver.
user451727
Reply : Mon 24th Sep 2012 21:44

It could be that it is too far left in your stance. It sounds like you are hitting the ball as the club is on its way up in the swing. To compensate try moving it a tad further in from your left heel and see what that does. If that does not work it maybe you need a lower lofted driver, if you are using a 10.5 degree ask your pro if you can try a 9.5 degree on the range.

user106712
Reply : Mon 24th Sep 2012 22:02

With a driver you need to hit the ball on the upstroke. Sounds like you are bending you left elbow on your backswing and coming down too steeply on the ball causing it too go too high and lose distance.

It is what is known as an "elephants arse" shot.........it's high and it stinks !

Last edit : Mon 24th Sep 2012 22:05
user487331
Reply : Tue 25th Sep 2012 11:17

Get custom fit and take out the guesswork. It may be that your optimum distance is 220 with your swingspeed but you wont know unless you get assessed. Make sure you do it on a driving range where you can see ball flight rather than inside on a monitor. Belfry is excellent.

user43763
Reply : Tue 25th Sep 2012 13:12

Funnily enough Adrian i just had a fitting for my ping driver and was recommended a 12 deg which at first i felt a little bit insulted by, but then when i was lent one by the pro for a few days, i found the 12 did keep it straighter and that even though the ball wouldnt carry as far it went like a rocket anyway. easily hitting 250+, was so impressed with the g15 12 deg would recommend anyone give it a go. paid 130 for mine and seems to be the going rate but American golf are doing the driver and rescue for �199, just in case anyone was interested (other stockist available)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top