Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

2 degree loft difference.

Posted by: user449768 | Thu 20th Sep 2012 20:57 | Last Reply

Ive never been a long hitter with my irons maybe 150 to 160 with a 6 iron but i get a lot of height, maybe to much. I bought a set of nike machspeed irons earlier in the year as i hadnt played for several years and on trying them really liked the feel so chose to buy them. They are at the end of the day a game improvement club so after playing a round yesterday and seeing i was roughly a club down on most of the guys i was partnering in distance the height was far more than the others. So i decided i would look into a new set of irons which may give more distance so i looked at the nike vrs, rocketballs and calloway razr specs. I looked at the nike vrs specs first as i love the machspeed irons i have and with their promise of more yardage than their previous irons i checked them out. What i found was the clubs are exactly 2 degrees less per iron than my machspeeds ! So all this technology they spout on about to make it longer seems to be nonsense, its the less loft thats doing it. Sorry to ramble but is it me or is this all manufacturers do for added distance?

Last edit : Thu 20th Sep 2012 20:59
re: 2 degree loft difference.
user250721
Reply : Thu 20th Sep 2012 21:15

Mike

for me its all marketing bull that get you to spend �500 on new clubs every 2 years and some people do it.

In your situatuation id say your best to get a loft and lie check from a good pro/club fitter and you may find adjusting your current sticks by the odd degree may give you less height and more distance.

user449768
Reply : Thu 20th Sep 2012 21:29

I am considering that matt. I have a little club local to me that can do this and i have a lesson there on monday so will ask. My irons are less than a year old and the specs on mine are virtually the same as the vrs.

user80078
Reply : Thu 20th Sep 2012 21:57

Is it important to you that you need a 6 iron for a shot as against an opponent hitting maybe a seven? Once you know what you can do with a particular club, I would have thought that more important than what actual maximum distance you might get. It does sound from your investigation of lofts that the clubmakers are telling porkies on how far their clubs go.

user449768
Reply : Thu 20th Sep 2012 22:12

To be honest probably not. My 5 iron for some reason im really having trouble hitting even though it used to be my favourite club. Ive also just started having my first ever golf lessons and the pro has changed my swing slightly because i had an out to in so im getting to grips with that which doesnt help.

user99350
Reply : Fri 21st Sep 2012 08:37

Mike, I have to go along with Michael. So what if others hit further?, simply club up. I have always hit the ball high and on balance I prefer that as I achieve more stop so look on it as an advantage.

user487331
Reply : Fri 21st Sep 2012 15:18

Mike, its not all about loft. The shaft makes a huge difference to club performance. It sounds like your spin rate may be too high and a change of shaft may make a huge difference. At your handicap level, you should get yourself a custom fitting session. You'll be amazed at the difference it makes.

user43763
Reply : Mon 24th Sep 2012 21:11

I think your right mike, manufacturers are always claiming these myths, im surprised one of them hasn't put a longer shaft on a putter and called it a driving iron yet! I bought the Wilson di7s about two years ago and they claimed to be further than any other club, turns out the shaft was half an inch longer and there was about 2 degs less loft, i believe the taylormade burner 2.0 irons are acutally an inch and a bit longer, again claiming to be 'further' after looking into this i managed to crack the secret to hit it further....use the next club up, it was quite the epiphany :p

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top