Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What Wedges?

Posted by: user449768 | Tue 18th Sep 2012 21:42 | Last Reply

Until recently ive never been confident enough to use a wedge around the green, i always seemed to go underneath it or catch it thick and send it sailing across the green about 2ft in the air. From around 25yds in i would tend to use a 7 iron to bump and run in. Ive practised a lot lately with my sand wedge and have gained a lot of confidence with it now and its helped shave a few shots of per round. My question is i use nike clubs and on checking the loft of my pitching wedge is 45 degrees and my sand wedge is 55 degrees, so what degree wedge would be best to try next? Im thinking a 58 degree though a friend has said try a 60 degree for close in work.

re: What Wedges?
user43763
Reply : Wed 19th Sep 2012 12:31

I love my 60, get the ball up and down sharpish from about 90 yds in and around the green i know if i chip it i will only get about a foot of run, great club to have

user127691
Reply : Wed 19th Sep 2012 13:42

Bloomin heck Alan, according to Rory's chipping advice in golf monthly he only hits his 59 degree wedge 90 yds, you must give it a good old whack.

I only hit my 56 degree about 85 yds so I don't see the need for a 60 degree personally anything less than 85 yds I just prefer to play half shots or 3 quarter shots with other clubs and round the green I can open my 56 degree up if I need more loft.

It is worth noting though my ball flight and chipping are all quiet high anyway so maybe i don't need the loft as much, personally I'd recomend bridging the gap betwen your sand wedge and PW I'd have at least 40 yard gap between 45 degrees PW and 55 degree SW. A 60 for me would mean taking out another club and I prefer the clubs at the top of the set and just try and play a variety of shots with my 48, 52 and 56 degree wedges.

Last edit : Wed 19th Sep 2012 13:43
user250721
Reply : Wed 19th Sep 2012 16:58

Mike, I think Gary makes a good point in regards to what type of shot it is your looking to play.

I recently started using the Wilson FG tour 52, 56 and 60 and I feel comfortable using all 3 from fairway, but not around the greens. If I'm close like you I get best results by using 7/8 irons so I don't see the point in trying to change that.

My 52 fits perfectly between my PW (48) and my 56 wedge. My 60 I use a lot with open face if I have hazard to get up and over.

My suggestion would be to maybe pick up something second hand see how you feel with it and then make a decision from there,

user52922
Reply : Wed 19th Sep 2012 19:02

If you need height to get the ball to stop, then you are not striking it properly.

user16106
Reply : Wed 19th Sep 2012 19:25

You,ll have to teach me that one John. I couldnt stop a ball from close range if it were a wet tea bag and the green was made of sandpaper. I always play the pitch and run. Checking the ball is just not in my armoury. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user38216
Reply : Wed 19th Sep 2012 19:26

Nothing wrong with a nice quarter or half pitching wedge does the trick. I save my 58 for awkward bunkers and long grass.

user43763
Reply : Thu 20th Sep 2012 13:01

I remember a video on the BBC by justin rose i think it was, he said that on everyday courses in our climate, the amature has nearly no chance of producing any sort of productive back spin, he went on to explain how the pros had thier grooves sharpened before each round, the balls were always mint expensive ones and they spent hours working on good ball striking. After watching this i realised, i have no chance! 90 includes run after bounce gary, but it is my confidence club so i do tend to get a bit brave with it

user449768
Reply : Thu 20th Sep 2012 20:37

mmmm still not sure what to do, played yesterday with a mixture of 7iron bump and run and sand wedge from edge of green and was very happy with my results, until the last hole just needed a bogey to win. All i needed to do was chip over a bunker and 2 putt and yep put the ball straight in the bunker and ended with a double bogey.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top