Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How far do you go to maintain Dress standards

Posted by: user78293 | Mon 10th Sep 2012 19:19 | Last Reply

Last week I was a society visitor at Gathurst Golf Club. I entered the club wearing a standard golf top and a pair of knee length light grey Nike Golf Shorts. I had purchased the shorts at a different Golf Club during early summer and had worn them on various occasions at two or three senior opens when weather was permitting. At Gathurst I was met by a gentleman who politely advised me that I could not wear the shorts in the club house or on the course. The reason given was that the shorts had side pockets to the outside of the pressed pleats. Fortunately I had a pair of trousers in the car and was able to change before playing which saved me a wasted journey. Note that I am 68 years, handicap of 16, and a member of a recognised golf club. I also considered myself smartly dressed. I now understand why younger people avoid golf clubs.

re: How far do you go to maintain Dress standards
user16106
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 19:43

Always a smart polo shirt and smart trousers. Wouldnt want a wasted journey.Sometimes get asked if my iron is bust. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user355541
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 20:46

I would, equally as politely, asked with what authority he was questioning my dress standards, and asked to be conducted to the Club Secretary. As far as I can see, there is no dress code highlighted on the club's website. I would have mentioned my age, my standing as a club member with a CONGU handicap and asked for an appraisal of my standard of dress for playing golf.

user38216
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 20:59

I wouldn't go as far as John but I think shorts should be kept for football and the like and not for golf courses they really do not look smart!

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 21:11

I would ban them completely.

user355541
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 21:29

John

You're never too old to show a leg and if you think you are, who cares.

user52922
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 21:46

James, I am entitled to my view, and you yours. I have never seen a smartly dressed shorts wearer, shirt hanging out over the top, certainly cannot be classed as tailored shorts with long socks.

user21179
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 22:56

I have never worn shorts on the golf course, mainly because I have never been too hot in lightweight cotton trousers, but also because they are not as smart as trousers. Last summer I was invited by the father of a playing partner to play his home course at the RAC in Epsom. On arrival he was asked by the steward at the door to change his shorts for exactly the same reason as Ron above ! He is 70 and has been a member there for over 30 years ! He pointed out that he plays there twice a week, takes his grandchildren swimming there twice a week and most importantly purchased the shorts from the club pro shop !!! The secretary was called and allowed him out on the condition he didn't wear them again. He was rather embarrased by the affair as we were his guests and didn't enjoy his round because of it ( I didn't really enjoy mine that much either as the course is very average and very overated ) obviously standards need to be maintained, but some clubs go a very wrong way about it !!!!

user97088
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 15:02

i was once stopped by this colonel blimp type official who gave me the A to Z on dress code, i just turned around and walked out, muttering to myself thats the last time i deliver milk to that club

user298481
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 16:54

I can't beleive you are all so stuffy, lighten up a bit! I like a pair of shorts on the golf course, usually plain khaki with no pockets so as not to offend, and i also played this summer in some "new fangled" trainer golf shoes (proper soft spikes) that have brought the odd committee member over to have a go. p.s. for added controversy i also usually wear ankle socks

user52922
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 17:51

I can't believe that so many of you consider shorts to be smart. This is the UK, not Florida.

user250721
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 18:04

I will always wear shorts where possible.

The club in question should take a long hard look at themselves.

Bottom line for me is being comfortable, Which I dont on a hot day wearing trousers. Florida or not. It still gets hot here.

Just because I wear shorts it doesnt make me scruffy. In fact I'm just a likely to let my shirt hang out with trousers than I am with shorts. Which I dont however.

user21179
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 18:14

Why are the pros not allowed to wear shorts ? Is it a smartness issue or health and sun protection as it is with cricket and if so why are caddies allowed to wear them ?

user250721
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 18:18

Its probably a silly old rule that is yet to change. Imagine playing in Dubai with trousers on??

Female golfers are allowed shorts/skirts.

user38216
Reply : Tue 11th Sep 2012 20:11

If the club pro shop has them for sale, they must be fit for that course - ask for your money back!

user26342
Reply : Wed 12th Sep 2012 07:41

I wear Stromberg golf trousers most of the time for playing as they are smart, comforatable & very durable. This is why I have just purchased a pair of Stromberg shorts, mind you I will be wearing them in La Manga in around 5 weeks time!! Seriously though I will wear them in the UK if it ever gets as hot as it did last week.

Some people must have very knobbly knees that they daren't show in public???

Shorts or trousers can both look scruffy if you don't apply yourself properly in them.

Last edit : Wed 12th Sep 2012 07:44
user451055
Reply : Wed 12th Sep 2012 08:05

I saw on Sky they asked the Pros the rule they would most like to change and it was to allow them to wear shorts on tour!

Moortown changed the rules last year and men can now wear shorts with white short socks instead of knee length socks.

The shorts aren't allowed side pockets though - they have to be smart tailored ones. The people who generally look smart anyway look smart in shorts too. The ones who turn out a bit scruffy tend to look scruffy in shorts. I haven't found shorts to actually make anyone look scruffy.

user80078
Reply : Wed 12th Sep 2012 19:15

I can tend to support both camps here, in that I personally prefer to play in long trousers. (I just feel right in them). However, when the weather is hot e.g. UK this past weekend, Portugal, Spain or Florida, I do wear shorts when playing 'holiday golf'. I might add that at 65 I still have good legs. Just ask my good lady!

user410273
Reply : Thu 13th Sep 2012 12:53

I would expect that Gathurst, just like any golf club, has a dress code set by the members. As a guest/visitor I'd expect to have to abide by that dress code but I would expect to see that dress code on its website and I would expect the Secretary to send a copy of the dress code to the society organiser.

That said, the vast majority of regular golfers who travel are aware that different golf clubs have different dress codes, and as a result a quick phone call before visiting, or taking a change of clothes, can save embarrassment.

How far do I go to maintain dress standards? I acknowledge the fact I'm a visitor in somebody else's 'house' and behave accordingly.

user43763
Reply : Thu 13th Sep 2012 22:32

Some interesting points made there and as previously mentioned everyone is entitled to their opinion. Heres my experience; Being quite young (in golfing terms) at 25, i find most of the clubs i play at, the average age must be near 55, theres lots of good reasons for this, retired, more disposable income, more time to play, etc,etc and golf is one of the oldest games in the world. I do also find however that when i play as a guest or a visitor at least 50% of my decision to return there will be how i am treated by the people there, i have played �5 - �50 rounds at the best and worst clubs in south wales and i will always take my mates to the clubs i feel most welcomed at. Something as simple as being refused a round on the grounds of shorts i personally feel is shocking. The reason i mention the age thing is because the rules are old and outdated, not to mean they are pointless or not of value. I was once told at a club that i couldnt use pink castle tees as they were "unsightly" and if i had to use them i "didnt deserve to be on the course". really, come on, seriously. The fact was i didnt have to use them, i CHOOSE to use them. We all go out and spend thousands on the newest gear at the forefront of modern day sports technology, yet its all useless if you buy a �5 pair of shorts. Most club pros (i might be wrong) are in their late 30's - 50's, this is a trend which bridges the old vs new argument, a more aged man has more experience, has done the rounds, worth his weight in gold etc etc, then why are the tour players getting younger? One day, hopefully no time soon, but we are all going to kick the bucket, and when all the 70+ have passed over, whos going to be the guys paying the bills and keeping the club going...........Thats right, those guys you booted out for wearing shorts. I think more people need to remember cash pays the bills, not dresscodes

sorry if i offend anyone, thats really not my intention

user397946
Reply : Fri 14th Sep 2012 22:25

Well said Alun and I completely agree.

Put quite simply, i believe people should be judged by how they behave and not how they dress.

Some people will have you believe that the two things are linked. Which is utter rubbish.

Last edit : Fri 14th Sep 2012 22:25
user130832
Reply : Sat 15th Sep 2012 05:42

Why are 'golf' shorts sold with pockets in?

To put your pink tee in of course!!!

user106712
Reply : Sat 15th Sep 2012 12:03

I wear shorts sometimes and I also wear spikeless golf shoes. But when I visit another club I allways take a pair of trousers and soft spiked shoes to change into, just in case they have a different dress code to my club. If I have to wear my trousers and spikes I don't moan and complain and write on a forum, I just do as asked and enjoy my golf. You wouldn't turn up for a game of football in a pair of swimming trunks because your shorts are too warm and then complain if asked to put a pair of shorts on. Or maybe you would ?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 15th Sep 2012 14:39

Well said Adrian, common sense at last.

It is not always what we want, but what is wanted by the bosses. I once left a �100 per head 'Do' at The Rooftop Gardens restaurant at The Savoy in London, drove to Leeds to attend Captains Day prize presentation at a Muni and had to change my trousers because what I had been wearing was not allowed at the Golf Club.

Last edit : Sat 15th Sep 2012 14:42
user43763
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 00:11

I think theres a clear divide here in opinion when it comes to this subject, Adrian, you completely right on the change of clothes, being unprepared is just silly, theres no excuse and as a visitor you should always be on best behavior and thats often the reason i will never go inside the clubhouse after a round unless invited because i dont wish to upset anyone by breaking a local rule im not aware of (thats just me personally though) i think your analogy of the shorts was a bit off though, its apples and oranges. The comparison i was aiming at was more like if a guy turns up wearing a rickie fowler bright orange t-shirt, bubba watson pink hat and a pair of Ian poulter union jack trousers, hes fine to play, but if you turn up in a regular polo shirt and shorts - its unacceptable. and David - blowing off the savoy for a captains presentation......LEGEND! The mind can only begin to imagine what you were wearing that was acceptable at the savoy and not at your golf club, but again, very good point i feel. Ive only been a member of one club and it was for 6 months because the course closed down and somehow my membership papers got "lost", but besides the point, but do clubs have some sort of initiation process where the rules are clarified and what is and isnt acceptable is demonstrated/explained. Im thinking of joining a club in the near future, and have been playing for about 8 years on and off, i still have no idea what the "correct" way of filling in a scorecard is. im going to ask the pro about it, but this question along with others such as the correct method of pitch mark repairs and dresscode should be explained to people, maybe it already goes on im sure i will be informed on here in due time

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 00:43

Alun,

You will find over the next few years that Golf Clubs come with many different attitudes and some will welcome change, others won't.

One Club I was a member of gave us a Diary each year with all the information for the year and at the back was the Dress Code, including a drawing. They allow white sports socks to be worn with shorts which many other Clubs don't.

user78293
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 10:57

Many thanks for all who took the time to comment on my first blog.

For those who may have misread my blog, when advised that my shorts did not conform to local rules I immediately changed into trousers and re-entered the club house for lunch followed by an enjoyable round of golf. i.e. It was not an issue.

The topic of my blog was 'How far do you go to maintain dress standards'. Since 1996 I have kept a list of golf courses I have played and it is over 150 in the UK and more than 60 over seas and I can assure all that golf shorts with ankle length white socks are accepted at most courses.

In my area of the North West golf clubs are struggling to increase membership and I know that up to two years ago we had a 4 year waiting list at my own club. This has been eroded and is now down to 3 months, although we do still have a joining fee. The age profile of the club must be late 50 to early 60 and we wish to get this down by enticing in younger members with introduction offers and personal coaching. We are making every effort to promote the club and we do encourage visiting societies which we try to make welcome.

Our dress policy is that if the Pro shop sells it and it has been manufactured for golf then it is acceptable attire. Nobody to date has turned up in John Daly golf wear to test the rules, but I am sure it will happen some time in the future.

What I hope we would not do is single out someone is a public area to inform them that their dress attire was not suitable. More tact by taking them to one side would have been welcomed, especially by my colleagues visiting with me on the day.

user43763
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 11:40

Well said Ron, im with you there

user52922
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 15:50

So shorts would be acceptable at your wedding Alun, I doubt it.

user487331
Reply : Mon 17th Sep 2012 11:01

I see people all the time who look like a sack of s**t wearing the 'correct attire' unironed shirts and trousers, dirty 'white' golf shoes etc. If you want to play at someone elses club and they have rules that you dont like, then you vote with your feet and don't go again. There are clubs out there to suit everyone from Muni's where you can go in jeans to those where you have to wear a shirt and tie in certain areas of the clubhouse. Take your pick but dont moan about it, nobody is forcing you to play there. Personally, I think shorts are fine although I wont subject anyone to my white legs unless its over 25C

user43763
Reply : Mon 17th Sep 2012 13:08

Who said anything about a wedding John? lol. and if i was at a wedding in hawaii then yes i probably would wear shorts, as would many other guests i imagine. lol darryl, can i come and be the caddie/pageboy ;p

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top