Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

1st time medal

Posted by: user16106 | Tue 4th Sep 2012 20:15 | Last Reply

Im a new member at a club and am playing in the monthly medal on saturday off the whites. Any advice on different tactics to the normal society stableford? Ive been asked to bring along my GS handicap as it may or may not be accepted. If not ill have to do 3 rounds with a member. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

re: 1st time medal
user52922
Reply : Tue 4th Sep 2012 20:25

Congratulations Dave on joining a club. Medal play is the true test and requires concentration all the way round. Good luck.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th Sep 2012 20:38

I can vouch for that, true test requiring concentration. I recently played in my first medal and didn't give it the respect it deserved and thus suffered.

Despite a good solid start I played it like it didn't matter if I blobbed a hole and where my ball would go, very very foolish on my part.

I'm actually itching to get back out in the next medal and play it with respect this time!

user16106
Reply : Tue 4th Sep 2012 20:49

John, I am a club member but still have to pay green fees. It is the competion side of things I was looking for. Cant quite afford �1000 a year at the moment. But hope that will change in the future. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 4th Sep 2012 22:06

Dave,

Just remember, every shot counts and goes on your card. Take less risks in a medal round as a risky shot that doesn't come off could wreck your whole card and not just put a blob on it

Better to take a definite 2 shots than maybe 1 shot, maybe 4 shots

user127691
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 09:21

I love medals never been cut in a stableford competition just seem to have a silly atittude, to aggresive or to relaxed I think. Medal makes me think alot more and through that play alot better.

user451055
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 11:29

Most important thing with medals is not to compound errors. You do a brilliant drive but put your second shot in the trees. First instinct is to take on a tricky risky shot as you are terrified of buggering up your card. This is not the thing to do. Chip it out, get it on the fairway and put it behind you and focus on your next shot.

PS - I am the biggest culprit for taking on a risky shot - I must take my own advice!!!!

user43166
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 13:07

Dave - good to hear you have joined up somewhere. Interested to know where as I think you were considering Reigate Hill flexible membership at one point. Sounds like you got a similar deal.

user38216
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 14:49

Course management, ability management, concentrate and enjoy a pint afterwards no matter how it went.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 15:47

I also think having a pre-shot routine helps, which obviously doesn't mean slow play but helps you get you in the zone before each shot.

Video here from Rick Shields

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4399/Video_Perfect_PreShot_Set_Up.html

user16106
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 18:55

Thanks for all the advice, all makes lots of sense. Will let you all know how the ist one went wheather its official or not. Paul, Yes I was considering reigate hill amongst other places. It was only the initial cost of a few hundred quid that detered me. I joined tilgate at only �40 for the rest of the season as member status but still have to pay green fees. Its very local to me also so not too much fuel costs. If my finances change then I may be able to spread my options a bit. But at the moment its the deal that suits me the best. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 19:39

Excellent course too, I might add, Dave. Loved playing Tilgate and eating the very good breakfast they do.

user355541
Reply : Wed 5th Sep 2012 21:39

Darren

Spill the beans. Are you now a club member with a CONGU handicap? Surely you must be if you played in a medal.

user16106
Reply : Thu 6th Sep 2012 00:04

John you are right it is a fantasic course if there hasnt been too much rain. Not too long about 6300yds but youve got to be straight. The clubhouse burned down last year and the plans are to biuld a new clubhouse to look like sydney opera house, a bit flash. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user43166
Reply : Thu 6th Sep 2012 13:15

Ah Tilgate. Yes, I too like it although gets very wet in winter. Great course though - I remember reading an article in Today's Golfer rating it as one of the best pay and play courses in the country.

Sydney Opera House in Crawley? Whatever next!!

user356537
Reply : Thu 6th Sep 2012 14:31

My top tip:

If you get in trouble the absolute priority is to get the ball back in play. It doesn't matter how far you hit it, just get it back on the fairway. Do not be tempted by that miracle shot!

Have fun.

Richard

user16106
Reply : Thu 6th Sep 2012 20:26

Sorry lads n lasses. I just missed out on the medal event. Next is in a few weeks time. Saturday is stableford off yellows. But I will still use all the advice. Cheers. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user16106
Reply : Sun 9th Sep 2012 16:14

Played yesterday. Even though it wasnt medal it was my 1st official club comp. Stableford off whites. Posted a credible 35 pts with 3 blobs so could have been a bit better. Overall OK. Didnt feel any extra pressure to the normal society of social game. So was quite relaxed. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user21179
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2012 06:35

Hi Dave, well done on Saturday. Check your pms regarding playing next week. Cheers Tim.

user16106
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 18:57

Done my 1st medal today Sun 16th. Not brilliant 92 gross. 77 Net. Had 2 8s on the back 9. Left a lot of shots out there. a few lip outs. Very happy with drives. 2 or 3 holes are very long off whites. Main diff from stableford is when playing a provisional ball and what happens if this goes wayward. Won on the day by net 70. Overall not too bad lots of good signs for next time. Next week is a 4BBB. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 20:52

Dave, no matter how well the round goes for you, you will always leave shots out there.

If only applies to everyone, not you alone. Like you I too have bad holes and that is what wrecks a good card. I drive very poorly but once in range of the green I come back into my own.

Perhaps you would like to pop up for a game one day.

Last edit : Sun 16th Sep 2012 20:52
user16106
Reply : Sun 16th Sep 2012 21:17

Its a promise john. Dave CAC handed Geordie

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top