Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sports psychologists do they help?

Posted by: user201647 | Sat 1st Sep 2012 06:35 | Last Reply

What are your views on sports psychologists do they really help they charge between �150 a hour to �250 looks like a good thing to get into as they earn more money than a golf coach.

re: Sports psychologists do they help?
user410273
Reply : Sat 1st Sep 2012 08:28

How many people play the final few holes like a rabbit in the headlights when they've got a good score going? Will strengthening the mind provide the tools to overcome 'choking?'

If the answer is a sports psychologist can give you those tools, the answer is yes there is a place for them in the arsenal.

What they charge, and are they worth it is a very different question. Its probably best answered by asking another question. Would you pay �150 for the opportunity of winning more by not choking on the home stretch?

Golfers choke, and then spend �200 on a new driver that will, hopefully, hit more fairways yet continue to use the dodgy swing that caused them to miss the fairways. Why not spend the same amount on lessons, technical coach or sports psychologist, that will mean hitting more fairways.

user437159
Reply : Sat 1st Sep 2012 17:54

before you do anything read Bob Rotella's books. thats what i did and its helped me!

user80078
Reply : Sat 1st Sep 2012 17:59

I'll second that Liam. Extremely good reading material.

user201647
Reply : Sat 1st Sep 2012 18:13

Have made an appointment with Jonathan Bint England Golf Union use him for there team Chris Jenkins Oliver Fishers coach recommended him, He is �75 cheaper than I was quoted by Andrew Barton. Was in a comp today played 8 over 40 point so handicap going down again. Have a few bad rounds I. Junior opens this year handicap went down then up again so am hopping that Jonathan can help me

user52922
Reply : Sat 1st Sep 2012 19:26

The 0ld saying "Fools and their money are soon parted" is relevant here. Pressure, I honestly believe, is self induced and I don't go along with this being cured by someone talking to you.

There will be instances of a good player suddenly finding form and the credit being claimed by one of these gurus.

Gurus do not swing the club at the time, and those who control their emotions the better, are usually more successful.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 1st Sep 2012 20:30

I also suggest reading the Bob Rotella books Nathaniel. Start with "Golf is not a game of perfect". It will tell you everything that Jon Bint will tell you, will cost you a lot less and you will be able to read it whenever you want. I revisit my copy on occasion when I feel my mind isn't quite right

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top