Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

one handed pitching / chipping

Posted by: user459944 | Mon 27th Aug 2012 14:41 | Last Reply

read an article in 'Todays Golfer' regarding one handed chipping / pitching but using a tennis ball, practised for an hour last night solely for research purposes and found i hit the ball straighter and more accurately than what i did with two hands, got my distances and height far more consistently than what i ever have doing it with both does this mean that i should do away with my left arm??? i practised with driver, 7, 5, pw & sw and found them all consistent albeit the distance with the driver max i could get was 170-180 and 5 iron best was 160ish, 7 iron still getting at 140-150 no problem...but it makes you wonder should i try a game like this just to see if stats could improve ?? or was it pure luck, did hit approx 150-200 balls

re: one handed pitching / chipping
user356537
Reply : Mon 27th Aug 2012 17:08

I can't recall his name but there is a pro on EuroPro Tour that pitches/chips one-handed.

Richard

user459944
Reply : Mon 27th Aug 2012 22:58

wow, loved to see that in action, i did a bit of googling but couldnt find anything although did find the amputee / 1 armed golf championships, to watch them in action is fantastic, you got to admire their persistence in such difficult circumstances.

user356537
Reply : Tue 28th Aug 2012 07:41

I found it. I mislead you the pro in question, Jason Palmer, isn't on the EuroPro Tour he's on the European Challenge Tour.

http://www.golfingworld.tv/videos/1021153910001/1169261556001/jason-palmer-one-handed-chipping

Richard

user459944
Reply : Thu 30th Aug 2012 14:04

went for a sneaky practice session this morning on par 3, 9 hole, 1st round done as normal using both hands score 41 from Par 27, 2nd round 1 handed on pitching only.... get this score 34 !!!! 34 lol, will be doing full 18 holes this weekend, cannot wait to try it out on that

user52922
Reply : Thu 30th Aug 2012 17:22

I have always used the one handed swing for practising. It is excellent for getting the right plane on the backswing.

user16106
Reply : Thu 30th Aug 2012 17:55

Tim, on the round you shot a 34 were your chips on a consistantly better line? or was the weight judged better? Or a bit of both. Or did you just play better overall on the 2nd round? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user459944
Reply : Thu 30th Aug 2012 19:22

dave, majority of the shots were pretty consistent, half swings for approx 50yrd chips 3/4 swings for 70-90 yrd shots, i did try a couple of shots with the 7 iron with one hand but cant seem to get the distance although it was pretty straight on the shot, the scores are a bit deceptive as the greens are awful there, get straighter putts on my lawn less weeds !! as i said it was just basically to see the performance of trying it one handed, will let you know how it goes on saturday. JP from your training days is it something you would encourage if things are working out better one handed or would you still attempt the two handed shots ??

user52922
Reply : Thu 30th Aug 2012 20:03

Tim, I have always played the game using both hands. Using the right hand only I developed a practice shot that ensures the club is at the correct place at the top of the swing. This is easily achievable as it is very difficult to support the club if it is not in the correct position.

The club face is open at the top and therefore requires closing at impact and beyond to achieve the soft draw that I like to play with. A range basket or shoe box placed a couple of inches outside the ball will help in this.

Once I have done twenty or so shots one handed I have a mental feeling of the position of the club at the top of the back swing and when 2 hands are on the club I just swing back to this known position. I might add that I only ever practice this with the wedge.

Being able to put a consistent shape on a ball is paramount to good scoring.

Last edit : Thu 30th Aug 2012 20:05

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top