Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Enjoyment affected by performance??

Posted by: user482978 | Mon 20th Aug 2012 18:47 | Last Reply

Just wanted to know everyones thoughts on this. Does your enjoyment level depend on how well you are playing? For me just starting out golf, I have now played five rounds and can see myself improving which is great. I am very competitive and want to play every shot the best I can but I am starting to see I should also enjoy the round.

Today I had a poor round and shot my highest score.I got really wound up on 15th and wanted to throw my iron into the lake, I think in future regardless of performance its best to keep a level head and move onto the next hole.

It would be great to have some input on this, I also am struggling on the back nine when my concentration wanes as fatigue sets in around 16/17th hole.Any tips on this would be helpful.

Thanks Steve

re: Enjoyment affected by performance??
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 19:07

I always feel much better if I've had a solid round of golf.

But getting out in the sunshine is much better than sitting at home not trying to play golf!

Russ

user250721
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 19:17

I have only ever walked off a golf course having not enjoyed myself once. I'd say I try to enjoy the course more than my score.

I played a really nice course yesterday and enjoyed the course and company, but have played much better and enjoyed it no more what I did yesterday.

user459944
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 21:31

never had a bad day yet, had some nightmares though, but never a bad day, no kids, no missus, no work, what more could you ask for lol, just enjoy the game for what it is, frustrating as hell but enjoyable at the same time, its easier to remember the par, birdie, eagle, longest drive, straightest putt or longest putt, but far easier than it is to forget the mulligan, triple bogie, double bogie.

user356537
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 21:59

I've been playing golf for the last 33 years. In that time I've had some magical rounds (not too many!) and I've had more than my fair share of absolute shockers. However, I've never yet played a round which didn't have at least one shot that was good enough to make me want to come back for more! It could be a drive, an approach, a chip or a putt. Somehow there always seems to be at least one redeeming shot!

user355316
Reply : Tue 21st Aug 2012 11:55

Steve

I always agree with the old saying that a bad day on a golf course is always better than a good day at work! On the rare occasion that I have managed to play on company time the golf is even better no matter how bad I play! As for the concentration levels near the end; a banana or some chocolate around about the turn or shortly after seems to help my physical and mental attitude towards the end of the round! All the best.

user482978
Reply : Tue 21st Aug 2012 12:23

Just like to say thanks for all the replies, some good tips/knowledge. Looking forward to getting out on the course tommorrow :-)

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 21st Aug 2012 13:31

I have said this before on here but it was a while ago.

I was once told "there are a lot of people laid in hospital beds who would love to be hitting bad shots like that".

I always think that on a bad day, helps a great deal.

On the other question about concentration. Always live in the present, never the past or future. There is no need to be thinking of your Putt until you're on the Green, or the difficult 16th when your still playing the 15th. Also ranting about a shot you played will not change anything about it. OK, give yourself a talking to, but it should be done and dusted by the time you have to hit your next shot.

I have three modes to play on, 1. Practice Mode: just hitting balls and not counting how many times I hit it. 2. Stroll Mode: enjoying the day and not bothering how many I take. And 3. Competition Mode: trying my heart out.

user462914
Reply : Tue 21st Aug 2012 19:14

I just enjoy playing golf and you have to take the bad shots with the good ones , forget the bad shot and move onto the next one , during every game you will have at least one good shot that makes you come back for more . Remember just enjoy every game.

user338942
Reply : Wed 22nd Aug 2012 19:26

I can get frustrated with golf I cant lie. Mostly when I've had a cracking front 9 and the wheels slowly start to come on the back half. If I'm just plainly playing bad I can accept that and just have a bit of banter etc, just cant stand a round falling apart.

user350969
Reply : Thu 30th Aug 2012 16:03

Hi Steven,

I'm very much a beginner also and play some god awful shots but as lots of people have said here there is always that Chip, Putt or Short which makes you feel great.

For me though it's as much the Social side as anything else and that means I always enjoy myself regardless.

yes I would love to play the way you see some people at the Club (and hoefully one day I will) but as long as I am enjoying it I'll continue on for better or worse (generally worse!).

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top