Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Essex Tour

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Sun 19th Aug 2012 22:23 | Last Reply

I played my first game in the 'Essex Tour' today.

My pairs partner Dave 'El Bandito' Roth, was telling me about today's game whilst feeding his mule in the car park at Stapleford Abbotts GC.

Whilst holding down his poncho due to the wind he said the next game was at Benton Hall GC today (Sunday). The cost was �29 with prizes for the top three players as well as longest drive and nearest the pin.

I had nothing on so paid for this event. Not having played this course before I was looking forward to it. And �29 is cheaper than me turning up at a weekend and paying the visitor's green fee!

I had the pleasure of playing with Andy Kenyon, who I've played with before. Our other member was Matt Holbrook (a fellow golfshaker), thanks guys for your company today.

The course is well worth a visit.

Highlights of my round...... Well, on the 10th hole we had the longest drive. I'm in the last group out and the marker isn't that far down the fairway (around the 200 yard mark if I remember correctly). I hit a good drive, but it hits the tree that sticks out into the fairway on the right hand side. This tree is 20 yards past the longest drive marker! My ball goes through the branches and slightly to the right. As we walk down I can see my ball on the right hand side of the fairway. Great I think, I've won the longest drive. When I get to my ball my SkyCaddie says 250 yards, but when I look down at my ball I'm not on the fairway, I'm on the first cut of rough!!! Never mind.... lol

Second highlight was the 15th hole, 520 yard dogleft right, with the 14th fairway being OOB. My drive is OK, into the trees between the 14th and 15th holes. Arrive at my ball and it's gone through the trees and is sitting on the first cut of rough. A 6 iron second shot goes into the semi-rough just before the ditch. My SkyCaddie says 93 yards to the flag. I take my gap wedge and take a 3/4 swing. Ball lands on the green and runs towards the hole. For a change it carries on and drops into the hole for an eagle!!!

Funny old game golf!

Russ

re: Essex Tour
user250721
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 06:19

Russ, was good to finally meet you. And well done on the eagle having been much further down the fairway and had a better view and what a great moment when you see it drop.

I am a bit confused as to how my flop shot didn't make it into your top two shots of the day...................

Last edit : Mon 20th Aug 2012 06:20
user250721
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 18:44

Russ.

Forgto to add. If you wanted to relive some of my highlights. you can do so here.

http://youtu.be/P1TCbi1I3kw

I particually enjoys the approach shot at 39 seconds and the lond downhill putt at 2 mins 17 seconds. He looks like a top class player with a bright future......

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 20:49

Matt, that was a superb flop shot from the back of the green, followed up by one of the worst putts I've ever seen!

I've seen the video of the day and your second shot to the stroke index one hole was great. And the long putt was also very good.

How comes the video camera wasn't on when I needed it?

Russ

user250721
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 21:20

Oh, I did forget to mention I missed the putt..........

I wouldnt worry about the camera not getting your eagle. To be fair I was lucky they didnt catch the 98 bad shots i hit...

user81416
Reply : Thu 23rd Aug 2012 12:59

Is that really Russell Middleton in the video or his younger ,slimmer brother?

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 26th Aug 2012 19:38

Yes Dave, it's the new slimmer version of myself (except the tee shot, must be the wind blowing my polo shirt!).

Dave Roth and I were just talking about you whilst playing our monthly medal today.

I said I should get in touch with you as I'm due a visit to your place and Dave's never played there.

We'll have to arrange something before the bad weather gets here.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top