Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

glove or no glove

Posted by: user390191 | Sat 11th Aug 2012 18:18 | Last Reply

why do we wear gloves and have you tried playing without one, i did today and for some reason it went well

re: glove or no glove
user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 19:25

I played without a glove for over 40 years, need one now because arthritis is taking its toll.

A photograph to back up my claim. http://www.johnpettitt.com/Cornwall%20golf%20festival%201980

Will also show that Ian Poulter was not the first to dress up a little.

Last edit : Sat 11th Aug 2012 19:28
user437159
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 21:51

why no glove, John? Was there any advantages as far as feel or touch?

user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 22:39

I certainly believe that one has more feel without a glove, but the modern game is a lot more powerful and hanging onto a club that is being swung fast needs a good grip, so a glove is probably the best bet.

As to your question, Liam, gloves were made of the best cabretta leather of a quality that is not around today and they were expensive. I felt at the time, that it was one luxury I would be better off leaving out of my game.

user430457
Reply : Sun 12th Aug 2012 11:22

I left my glove behind once and shredded my left hand - probably says more about my technique!.

On a separate note, just looked at the rest of John's website - absolutely fascinating. Well done John for putting together such a wealth of information and photos.

user52922
Reply : Sun 12th Aug 2012 18:40

Thank you, Paul, very pleased that you took the time to browse my website and that you enjoyed it.

I started it once I was housebound after my initial heart attack, I really must get it up to date.

user43166
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 07:03

Agree - glove on for full shots, off for "touch" shots. Never on for putting.

John - cracking photo. Fashion is almost coming round the full circle.

user451055
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 14:58

Ooh - John - you wouldn't get away with that attire at Moortown. No collar! I tried that once with a polar neck and jumper without a shirt and collar and got told swiftly that it wasn't allowed. Standards man standards!

user52922
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 17:47

Judy, I don't remember what I was wearing when I played Moortown, but if polo necks were not allowed then I would not have worn one. I used to only wear them when the weather was colder. As for the trousers I soon moved on from them, not my cup of tea, but sold in the Pro shop when I had a waist that was in the Stock range, so to speak.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top