Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Looking for your ball

Posted by: user481043 | Sat 11th Aug 2012 12:46 | Last Reply

Is it 5 minutes to look for a lost ball and does this rule aply to members aswell as visitors ?

re: Looking for your ball
user473042
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 13:30

yes its five

user459944
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 13:34

AN, 5 mins to look for ball on the same hole, if you lose it again you have to deduct the minutes you spent looking for it first time round, i.e. 3 mins spent first time only 2 mins to look second time.

user338942
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 17:12

Wasn't aware of that rule....

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 19:13

New one on me Tim

user52922
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 19:33

The five minute rule should be changed to 2 minutes in my opinion. I give up very quickly and take the penalty.

user437159
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 21:27

I agree, John. I often too find myself giving up - feeling like i'm slowing play down.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Aug 2012 00:42

If you can't find it in a couple of minutes, you know its almost certain to be unplayable.

The Rule is 5min search time to locate a ball. That is each ball, and it starts when you begin to search and includes your caddiepartner.

user459944
Reply : Mon 13th Aug 2012 16:54

AN, apologies, bit of usless duff information on my part, i swear blind i had read it somewhere that if a 2 ball was lost on the same hole them minutes were included in that find, so apologies for the usless info, John agree with you totally, if you havent found it after 2 mins, drop another and crack on stops the slow play.

user43166
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 06:58

That's another new rule. Can't find it so just drop another. I get so much grief in my work society when I tell people they can't do that!

Agree 100% in reducing search time to 2 minutes. Quick look and move on.

And don't get me started about people walking back to the tee. Should have played a provisional.

user52922
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 07:49

My experience tells me that when a bad shot is heading towards the rough a lot of players just turn away in disgust instead of marking the line with something on the same line so that searches are carried out in the most likely spot to find the ball.

The rough at my club is currently very punishing, balls are hard to find and if found almost unplayable, yet constantly all I see is searching nowhere near where the ball actually went, a failure to have played a provisional and a complete disregard for those having to wait behind.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 21:10

I had to take the walk of shame (back to the tee) on the 18th in the monthly medal on Saturday. Bit of a pull and the ball kicked left into the trees after two bounces. The rough in there is very sparse so we were all confident we would find it but when we got down there it was nowhere to be seen. We waved the group behind us to play through and I passed them as they walked to their tee shots and I walked to the tee

I almost always play a provisional if I think there is any danger the ball will be lost. With the rough at our place at the moment that can be anything more than five yards off the fairway. Sometimes though you do get caught out

user43166
Reply : Wed 15th Aug 2012 07:32

What a frustrating round I had last night!! Played with one "beginner" and one guy who is right off form at the moment. I think we spent half the round looking for their balls. The "off" guy kept looking and looking even when I told him his time was up. Puts you right off your game I find. Managed to get my golf head back on from 11 onwards though and returned 33... never give up (unless you are looking for your ball!!)

user445877
Reply : Wed 15th Aug 2012 08:17

It is also worth remembering that any group behind are not supposed to have to wait for those 5 minutes while you look. The idea is that if a ball is lost and there are players waiting you should wave them through, and then have your 5 minutes looking. This normally gives the following group time to play past you and then you can continue with either your original ball or a new one. I am no great player but I hate waiting behind groups where they all think they can take 5 minutes each to look for a ball, and then again on the next shot!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top