Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing your first competitive round?

Posted by: user250721 | Tue 7th Aug 2012 11:20 | Last Reply

I know we have a lot of newbies to the game on the forums so I decided to write an article about my first competition I ever played in back in Feb of this year.

Hope it helps and is enjoyable.

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4448/Feature_Playing_My_First_Competitive_Game.html

re: Playing your first competitive round?
user430457
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 14:07

Matt,

a really interesting insight into your first competitive round.

Like you, i'm not a member and therefore have only played socially and 90% of my games have proably been on my own as I don't know many people that play. I played a new course on Sunday, on my own, and even that got the nerves going with 'locals' looking on so not sure how i'd cope in competition, though would love to give it ago sometime. I'm sure you'll pick it up from here and just go forwards, thanks for sharing this. Cheers, P

user459944
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 16:52

Matt, an enjoyable read, remember mine a few weeks back, it was bad enough playing with my guv'nor who plays off 18, our 2 guest's played off 12 & 8, and there's little old me with my 28, which was dropped to 19 ! finished with what i thought was a respectable 19 only to find i finished 18th out of 35 and there were plenty below me with better handicaps, all in all an enjoyable day out but hell the pressure does get to you !!

user250721
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 17:56

Thanks for the positive words guys.

Just so you know I have been back and played 5 of the other events on this particular tour and am currently sitting 5th on in the race. I can't win, there are a few low handicappers higher than me that have played less rounds. But enjoyed them all the same.

user38216
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 21:00

Matt looking forward to meeting up at NVS poss a sociable on the Sunday. Oh and Celtic of course!!

user250721
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 21:18

Me too Dave, Ill be at the NvS both days.

user26342
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 11:49

I hope your going to be playing medal format on the 2010 when you visit the Celtic??

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 11:58

I'm not! the course gives me goose bumps every time I see it having been fortunate enough to get 2 days of Ryder Cup (viewing) action in 2010.

user482978
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 16:22

Im new to golf and really enjoying it. How many rounds of golf would you recommend before im ready to play tournaments. Only played arounf 10, lowest score of 111!

user250721
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 19:21

Steven

Id say go when your ready. Nobody can tell you when is the right time to do it.

all i will say is I wish I had the chance to do it sooner than I did.

user482978
Reply : Fri 10th Aug 2012 19:05

Thanks for the replies.

Yes im a member at a local club here in Norway, ive played two rounds of 18 so far shooting 111 and 117. Not great scores I know but can see my games improving. Just need to work on my irons and putting! Very pleased with driver off the tee. Feel confident I could enter some tournaments after a few more months of play.

What kind of handicap do i expect to get with 111,117 and ?(my last round). I expect it would be the lowest?

user16106
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 10:34

Matt, do you have an official handicap? if not how did you get in this comp? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user250721
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 11:20

Dave, Its a open comp so anyone can enter, official handicap or not. The guys running the events will adjust handicaps throughout the rounds if they feel its needed.

user355541
Reply : Wed 10th Oct 2012 12:21

Chris

You're pointing Steve in the direction of how CONGU handicaps are derived. Steve is in Norway which will come under the EGA system of handicaps. The EGA website has their online handicapping system handbook on it in PDF form.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top