Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

cavity clubs to blades

Posted by: user459944 | Sat 4th Aug 2012 20:58 | Last Reply

not that i am thinking about it just yet but at which point would you switch from cavity clubs to blades, below 10 handicap or higher and what are the advantages of switching over to blades ??

re: cavity clubs to blades
user52922
Reply : Sat 4th Aug 2012 21:58

Ones handicap has nothing to do with the decision, Tim, a good striker would benefit no end from the many different options that would open up to him. A poor striker will only get depressed and return to the comfort of the cavities.

It is a great pity that game improvement clubs were ever introduced as the overall standard of play has diminished by their introduction.

Handicaps now stretch to 28, stableford seems to have taken over as the main type of competition and when I asked our competition secretary why we do not play Bogey competitions, he said, what is a Bogey competition. Says it all really.

user459944
Reply : Sat 4th Aug 2012 22:42

2 x John's thanks for the advice, JM, do you think that by switching early to blades before i get more comfortable with cavitys that it may have a profound effect on better play in the long term ?? i have a set of blades passed on from my dad but looking @ the sizes of the heads, i'm worried that i'm gonna mash it up, methinks a trial at the driving range ??

user16163
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 00:05

Tim

I used to use blade clubs as personally I think I am a good striker of the ball but to be totally honest I am a decent striker of the ball but not a great striker.

The feel you get from striking a blade well is amazing it is something you will never get with any other type of club and the ball flight is awesome

I have now changed my blade clubs for a combo set where the long irons are cavity the medium are muscle and the short irons are blade and personally I think it has helped my game no end

Last few rounds my worst score is 84 and my most recent round was a 79

I have had the privilege and the honour of playing alongside mr Pettitt above, and his experiences and knowledge of the game are second to NONE.

In my opinion I would go for a trial on the range and do not change to the blade clubs until you are 100%happy with every shot you take with them

Hope this helps

user459944
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 01:09

Darren, thanks for the advice, will give them a trial.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 16:37

I went from cavity back club to blades when my handicap reached 12. It wasn't my handicap that decided this for me.

I needed new clubs as my old ones were five years old.

My game was good but I was limited in my ability to work the ball, so I tried a six iron blade to see how I got on with it (bought it from American Golf for a five).

I'm happy with the blades even though my game is going the wrong way, but that is down to me not the clubs.

Russ

user459944
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 18:05

gave the PW, 7 & 5 a go today, wow, major impressed at the extra distance and the height of these ball seems to have more of a controlled landing especially at the chipping, have removed 5 wood, 3 & 4 cavity irons (never used) from bag and will be inserting 3 new ones for trial on next time out.

user410273
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 19:10

Tim, just to put a different spin on it. I changed back to blades a few months back. The first few times out I hit some awful shots. Realising I had to concentrate more on striking it properly made me do just that. I find I'm not being as lazy now, I'm 'thinking' about my swing/shot more and I'm playing better than I have for a while.

Sometimes a kick up the backside makes you work a little harder.

user414746
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 20:45

I changed to blades when I was a 24 handicap, about 5 months after i started playing, upon a recommendation. I was delighted by the feedback you get for both good and bad shots and I think my game has improved no end due to the fact you have some real feel for the shots you are playing. People who put a handicap 'limit' on blades are missing the fact that a high handicapper can improve by the feedback which will lead to better and more consistent ball striking.

user38216
Reply : Mon 6th Aug 2012 08:53

JM - ability aside we are on exactly the same page. Handicap is based ability to get the ball in the hole with the lowest score, which is the aim of the game. There are no awards for ball striking, just personal reward.

user99350
Reply : Mon 6th Aug 2012 12:38

I play with blades and the only downside is that if you don't middle it it wont get there.

user440810
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 13:31

I currently have CB irons and whenever you play on a very windy day, or at a links golf course you have to focus more on lowering the ball flight due to the clubheads added weight, also you have far far less playability with shaping the shots as easily, I suppose it depends on what type of course you play on, and how technical it is. I'd imagine plenty of Americans that play Resort 'target golf' all through the air with perfect still conditions love cavity backs. If you try the 'bladier' option or even some good half way muscle backs and you strike the ball consistently, it has to be the best choice as you can continue to use them as you improve your game and ball control. After all most of us want to be the best players we can be!

user21179
Reply : Wed 8th Aug 2012 16:23

just swapped from titleist mbs to ap 2s. My main problem was the shafts rather than the heads though ! I had x100 (extra stiff heavy shafts ) i was finding it hard to even strike the ball consistantly so have been using my old cobra cavity back shovels for the last year or so. Like others have said, there are no prizes for the clubs you use, just how many shots you take ! make sure you are happy with the heads and the shafts ( i was lucky enough to have custom fit for my new set) before you take the plunge with blades. mind you, the blades did make me have another course of lessons which has helped my game a great deal. The new custom fit ap 2s are still in the box in my loft as i havent been able to get out for 3 weeks !!! i will let you know how they go.

user543935
Reply : Sun 28th Jul 2013 21:13

ok just back into golf after a 6 year lay off and very much a weekend hacker playing off 28+ but my experience after trying alot of cavity backs trying to find some that felt right i tried a s/h set of mizuno mp32 cut muscle blades and felt at home with them right away a few duff shots every round not withstanding as i only started again 3 months ago, basically try clubs and find what you like although ive found the feedback compared to cavity backs is very helpful for starting to find consistancy with my irons that i never had before

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top