Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Arm straightener ??

Posted by: user459944 | Sat 4th Aug 2012 20:55 | Last Reply

just a quick question, does anyone know of a strap device that can hinder you from bending your arm whilst you take your back swing ?? i have been told there is such a training device but the local pro couldnt remember what it was called or where i could get one from (albeit he did try to dissuade me from using one but i would like to try it all the same)

re: Arm straightener ??
user52922
Reply : Sat 4th Aug 2012 21:59

The only training device I know is called will power.

user250721
Reply : Sat 4th Aug 2012 22:30

John - Your so boring. if you dont have the answer, why post rubbish??

Tim.

I not too sure if this might do the job, i know it has various different uses.

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_accessories/dguk/swing_aids_golf_swingyde/p384.aspx

Last edit : Sat 4th Aug 2012 22:31
user459944
Reply : Sat 4th Aug 2012 22:36

John, tried willpower but with little effect, Matt thanks for the link but have tried this with little success, just wondered if there was something you could strap in place to your elbow similar to the elbow supports but it prevents you from bending?

Last edit : Sat 4th Aug 2012 22:49
user52922
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 09:32

Matt, boring to you, maybe, but my response was serious. The brain tells parts of the body to get into certain positions, keeping an arm straight for the majority of people is pretty simple.

There is no rule or law that says the arm has to be kept straight but, as you probably realise, more power will be produced from a longer arc, which the straight arm will provide.

So once again it is you, the one with little experience, who has jumped the gun with an attempt at putting me down. You simply are not bright enough to do that Matt.

Last edit : Sun 5th Aug 2012 09:32
user250721
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 09:39

Not trying to put you down John. Just stating a fact. I dont make it personal, you just seem to be the most negitive person that never has anything good or positive to say to anyone about anything. Your way or the high way.

user80078
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 10:55

I thought personal attacks were frowned upon. Matt has a point. Why didn't you pass the comment about a straight arm providing more power, on to Tim rather than the dismissive reference to willpower John. You clearly have a wealth of knowledge and experience John and I know as a retired teacher that the greatest gift we have is to pass our knowledge on. Please accept this in the manner it was intended, without feeling the need to put 'me' down. Cheers!

user52922
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 11:05

Michael B, can't you read or do you just jump in without thinking. This is what I said:-[b]There is no rule or law that says the arm has to be kept straight but, as you probably realise, more power will be produced from a longer arc, which the straight arm will provide.[/b]

As a Teacher you will know that what you have just written does not convey the feeling/manner you might think it does, hence my response.

It seems that we are breeding very sensitive people these days.

Matt started this with a personal attack on me, to which, I am sure he knows, that I would respond.

You have taken sides and then attempted to get out of it with a load of tosh.

My mothers favourite expression was "Do as you would be done by".

user80078
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 11:14

Congratulations John. You have just proved my point!

user52922
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 12:42

You never had a point, just a distorted view, but if you feel happy, who am I to deny you that.

user410273
Reply : Sun 5th Aug 2012 18:56

Tim, if you Google "Golf Harness" you'll find a few different types and also some You Tube vids of people using them. However, if the pro says don't bother...

Providing you have learned the basics, just go out and practice grooving a repeatable swing. It doesn't have to be text book perfect as long as a) it has a reasonable amount of power to it, and b) it repeats, thus giving you a predictable outcome.

Good luck.

user38216
Reply : Mon 6th Aug 2012 11:47

I always try and keep a straight right arm (left handed) as part of basic swing mechanics but I witnessed a 5 hcpr, with total 90 degree collapse, at the weekend and he made it round in 76 blows! This game is madness!

user440810
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 13:40

Big enough plastic bottle (2Ltr Coke for example)/ or tubing and cut both ends back, slip you arm through it so it runs over the elbow. Now when you swing with it on, you will get feedback as to whether you bend it or not as you will be restricted. Only thing is, don't kick the arse out of it or you might hurt yourself, use more as an indicator/aid as we all aim and think we are swinging a certain way but infact sometimes are not, that 5 handicapper that was spoken about probably thinks his arm is straight.

Just an idea!

user52922
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 13:48

It is often a problem for us oldies, trying to keep the left arm straight what with all the ailments one seems to acquire in old age, but a simple solution is to ensure that one turns fully on the backswing, this will make keeping the arm as straight as possible a lot easier.

Bent left arms create added problems within the swing. because adjustment is required at some point in the swing to compensate.

user459944
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 17:05

Tony, cheers for the idea but i would more than likely avoid it as think if i did swing too far that would be the end of the left arm or the tendons surrounding it lol ....

JP, understand where you are coming from and like everything it still needs work on, as you said some are natural swingers some are sort of cack handed, i put myself in the cack handed phase at the moment, i have been told by friends that have watched me that i seem to pause when playing my driver more than i do my irons, think this has always been my sort of compensation stance for the amount of times i have wellied it wrong and hooked it right way out of sight, although if i add up the times on the driver that i have used this approach on 7 out of 10 times it will go straight and with some distance, its just that on the 3 blinking occasions it hasnt it has cost me dearly on points, i have spoken to our local pro that told me that i need to work on fluid swinging but for this to happen i need to cure the bent arm problem that seems to keep hindering that process, more mental than physical methinks ! so again it goes back to practising, just hought there may have been a quick fix solution to speed things up a little, again think it like the pitching senario not so long ago, just got to work at it (alot!)

Thanks again ALL for advice, much appreciated and taken on board

user38216
Reply : Tue 7th Aug 2012 20:58

I think I swing nice and score shite, I would rather it be the other way round

user26342
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 11:46

I think as long as you can repeat the same swing over & over & get good results then you don't need to worry about trying to replicate a mechancial swing. You've only got to see Jim Furyk in action to appreciate this.

user26342
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 11:46

I think as long as you can repeat the same swing over & over & get good results then you don't need to worry about trying to replicate a mechancial swing. You've only got to see Jim Furyk in action to appreciate this.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 9th Aug 2012 22:22

The product you are after is called a PowerBand.

Basically a wide elasticated hoop sewn together in the middle to form a figure of eight. You put one arm through each loop and it stops you elbows from flaying out in the swing. My pro put one on me in my last lesson. Really does help actually

user38216
Reply : Fri 10th Aug 2012 12:23

Chris does that mean you will no longer treat is to some Zorro-esque swipes??? Boo!!!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 10th Aug 2012 21:50

The swing is still quicker than Usain Bolt and resembles an epileptic octopus under a strobe light Dave, it's just with the elbow a bit closer together now!

user110783
Reply : Sat 11th Aug 2012 23:58

how about a length of drainpipe it'll let your arm bend a little but not overly

user440963
Reply : Tue 14th Aug 2012 12:31

I was told this years ago did work at the time

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top