Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

where does distance come from?

Posted by: user437159 | Wed 1st Aug 2012 22:29 | Last Reply

club head speed? solid swing mechanics? how do the guys on tour hit it so far?

re: where does distance come from?
user24437
Reply : Wed 1st Aug 2012 23:50

Basic physics Liam, Newtons 2nd law of motion. Force = mass x acceleration. So the mass of the ball is fixed as is the mass of the club head, therefore it's purely down to clubhead speed (although it's a bit more complicated than that...)

user451055
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 07:40

Apart from the physics stuff it seems to be down to tempo and timing. The more desperate and frustrated I get the harder I try and hit it and the shorter and more offline it goes.

My husband looks like he puts very little effort in and strokes it off the tee and he can reach 300 yards.

user52922
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 08:34

Appearances are deceptive, Judy, your husband is a good player and, like the pro's, delays the hit thus masking the aggression.

I used to be able to do this, but my body now is completely unresponsive to any signals from the brain. Could be that the signals are no longer forthcoming.

user99350
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 09:34

The great John Jacobs said distance = club head speed applied properly.

user321680
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 10:53

John could you elaborate on what you mean by delaying the hit? Is this turning the lower body first on the downswing. I would guess I'm amongst the longer hitters (with irons definitely) but pros seem to be on another planet in this regard. As an example I hit my 7 iron about 165 but pro's seem to hitting 7 irons up to 200yards and beyond sometimes. Ps sorry for mentioning yardages as I know your disdain for them

Last edit : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 10:54
user21179
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 14:11

I know that length should be all about physics but it must be about timing aswell. I have a swing speed of around 95 mph ( not quick ) and never reach parallel on my backswing, yet I can knock it out there. I am 6"2 which obviously helps, but I suppose I should just be thankful and work hard on shorter clubs and putting.

user52922
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 17:45

John D, all good players sequence the swing correctly to produce Lag, which is the vital part of producing power.

To create lag the secret is to make sure that the weight is being properly shifted FORWARD just before the club reaches its position at the top of the backswing. As this occurs a recentreing of the centre of the body will occur and the hands will automatically LAG behind the body.

The hips shift the hips rotate, the hands FOLLOW or LAG behind. The DOG wags the TAIL. In a great golf swing the hands follow the movements of the body and have no choice but to delay their hit.

TO create lag, sequence your downswing so that you achieve the following:

1. Weight begins shifting forward just before club reaches top of back swing.
  2. The weight shift forward is a RECENTREING of your swing center that SHIFTS the hips FORWARD.
  3. The hips rotate and clear, the legs fire through, the upper body follows, the hands follow, the clubhead follows last.

Hope that is relatively clear.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 21:02

What John has said above is right (quite often is) but there was something I was shown on video in my swing during a lesson last night that is costing me some distance too. It's not dissimlar to the lag John mentioned above

Basically, at the point the clubhead is striking the ball it is ahead of my hands. It is a result of me releasing my hands too early. The hands should be ahead of the ball when the clubhead makes contact (roughly in line with the left thigh for a right-hander) as this maximises the clubhead speed at impact, caused by both flex and hands being at their maximum forward acceleration at the time. My hands were almost in line with my right thigh

Have a look at some of the greats (Snead, Hogan, etc) at impact and you will see exactly what I mean

user356537
Reply : Thu 2nd Aug 2012 21:12

Don't always agree with JP but the only thing that matters is LAG.

user99350
Reply : Fri 3rd Aug 2012 08:33

Don't forget that shaft type is important too.

user321680
Reply : Fri 3rd Aug 2012 22:05

Cheers jp.

Patrick are you simply talking about steel vs graphite?

user99350
Reply : Mon 6th Aug 2012 12:47

John, no I'm talking about the flex (tho' my driver is graphite). I have Dynamic gold regular steel shafts on my irons 3-Sand wedge. My sand wedge will get me 110 yds however I have two Nike Lob wedges 56* and 60* which get me 60 & 80yds resp. The difference is the shafts as the nikes are v stiff. It's often said the stiffer the shaft the more accuracy but the flipside is loss of distance.

user99350
Reply : Mon 6th Aug 2012 12:51

John, no I'm talking about the flex (tho' my driver is graphite). I have Dynamic gold regular steel shafts on my irons 3-Sand wedge. My sand wedge will get me 110 yds however I have two Nike Lob wedges 56* and 60* which get me 60 & 80yds resp. The difference is the shafts as the nikes are v stiff. It's often said the stiffer the shaft the more accuracy but the flipside is loss of distance.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top