Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Dunlop Clubs

Posted by: user481043 | Thu 26th Jul 2012 14:05 | Last Reply

I wanted to get back into golf and when a friend said his neighbour had got some clubs /bag etc to sell i thought id take a look. So for 50 quid i got some Dunlop TP12 clubs etc i thought it would get me going again. Oh you should the comments ive had about these clubs, but what gets me is when Mr X roles up at the 1st tee with his Taylor Made (just an example nothing against TM) and all the kit hes really no better than me. if they get me started there ok if i get better ill get something else But why do people have to ridicule your choice of clubs is beyond me sorry i went on and on AN

re: Dunlop Clubs
user451727
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 14:33

You can't buy a good round of golf A N. If the clubs are alright with you, don't worry about other peoples comments. I will admit to having a TaylorMade driver, I bought it 5 months ago second hand for the total sum of �16.00!!!! I also own a Dunlop lob wedge.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 15:58

Here is another.

What is the use of owning a Ferrari if you can't drive.

When starting, Kit doesn't matter as much as when you are trying to improve after reaching 'single figures'.

user432170
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 17:08

Almost all my kit is Dunlop. Have to admit I look like a walking advertisement. Hat, shirt, trousers, shoes, clubs etc. The only thing not, is my trolley. Yes I wouldn't mind some of the top equipment but whats the point, my stuff does the trick as I am a beginner. I am happy. On a plus, I have never had anyone give any negative comments. Each to their own.

user390191
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 17:35

as the saying goes IF YOU CAN'T SWING BUY A PING

user459944
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 22:59

AN, i use my good old Donnay so if you think you got a problem with the pee takers try playing with these, to be honest stuff em if they want to take the pee ! you could own a �1k set bet if your swing aint right it isnt going to matter, for someone like me who has only played the game for 4 mths and only played 13 rounds i'd much rather spend �30 and enjoy the game and not worry about the odd scuff or chunk taken out of the club than be frustrated with a �500 set and scuff it to bits and still not do any better, once your cracking back down below the 100 mark why bother splashing out, and if the clubs are getting you below that mark, why spoil something that has got you down that far??

user21179
Reply : Fri 27th Jul 2012 00:15

you will get to a point, with talent and practise where your dunlop clubs are holding you back, but at 28 you are not there yet so dont worry about what other people say !!!

user451055
Reply : Fri 27th Jul 2012 08:57

I had a very cheapo set I bought from costco in USA for something like $120 when I first started. They were absolutely fine for about the first 6 months but when I started to hit the driver a bit better we took a video and realised just how much twist I was getting from the shaft - it was twisted almost 180 degrees through the swing! At that point I upgraded to a half set of Tour Edge Bazookas which I have gradually added to as my swing and control has got better. I am now itching to get a new 'proper' set. I want irons with a thinner base than my big clumpy ones to give me more control and I know the hybrids and woods I have tried so far give me more distance than my current set. But - I am playing really well with my current set too - so do I really need to spend the dosh? Will I really play better and drop shots with new clubs?

How many people on here have bought a new full set of clubs and seen their handicap drop as a result?

user64715
Reply : Fri 27th Jul 2012 09:49

I have certainly reached that point with my Donnay clubs. Being aluminium, they are soft and the lie angles are all wrong. My 7 iron is now is the equivalent of a 4 iron. I've had a few lessons recently and each pro has practically laughed at the state of them. The head of my pitching wedge snapped clean off earlier this year. Having said that I've brought my scores down from ~110 to mid 90's over the last year, but a lack accuracy and confidence with them means that as soon as I can afford to I will replace them.

user369251
Reply : Sun 29th Jul 2012 21:30

When I first started playing the game, I bought a full set of Dunlop clubs, and they were great. However, as I have got better, I decided to splash out on some Nike clubs. The difference has been very very noticeable, with generally better scores coming since I bought them. As for the snobbery thing, I still get traditionalists looking down their nose at my Nikes, as they have spent hundreds more on Callaways, TM's, Pings and Titleists. Unfortunately, this is part and parcel of the golf course it seems.

user565751
Reply : Sat 14th Dec 2013 21:38

Just bought a Dunlop Tour TP 12 Lob wedge. Paid 9 bucks at big 5 in Salinas because the tacky grip had a small nick in it.. barely noticeable. This wedge performs better than my older black pearl 60/12. The ball checks nicely on the greens. It's the only thing by Dunlop in the bag but I'm not embarrassed at all to rock this bad boy on any golf course. Great wedge. Very classic design....nice bounce.

user80078
Reply : Sun 15th Dec 2013 13:44

Ignore the kit snobs. I too have a TM driver, but the one club that would stay in my bag over the others is a Dunlop hybrid. It's a beautiful club with a black head and shaft, that feels powerful and allows me to hit a draw. Quite a rarity for me. I have also recently bought quite a bit of Dunlop course fishing tackle and it is terrific value for money... I couldn't give a fig for what anybody might think about my golf and fishing gear. It works for me and that's what counts....

user16106
Reply : Sun 15th Dec 2013 21:40

If it works , dont give a toss what others think, just kick their arse. One of my mates has a wilson driver , cost him about £15 and he hits it 240-260 yd no problem. Another mate has a dunlop driver and ive seen him drive 295 yd with it. A clubs a clubs a club. Its how its used nt what brand it is. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user99350
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 13:21

Well said DP. I have a Dunlop 3 wood (£9 from Sports Direct) and I wouldn't swap it. To me it's how it sits on the turf and how it feels in your hands. I'm not saying all things being equal that a TM 3 wood might get me a few yards further but I'm not consistent enough to do a pricier club justice ie I'm just as capable of mis hitting a dunlop or TM.

user16106
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 18:55

I hope Mike Ashley is reading this blog from the Dunlop Apprieciation Society. All beer vouchers sent would be very welcome. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user555419
Reply : Sun 22nd Dec 2013 15:44

My first ever set was some Dunlops. Big ugly cavity backs, Still remember the 3 Iron I stiffed onto the green from miles away at Fareham GC back in 2003?. Not been able to reproduce that shot ever since with any number of designer clubs, and don't even carry a 3 Iron anymore because of it.

Last edit : Sun 22nd Dec 2013 15:47
user50843
Reply : Mon 23rd Dec 2013 19:06

Iv'e known a few high handicap gear junkies over the years and it never fails to tickle me, the vast amounts of money they chuck at the latest shiny irons, woods and putters just goes to fuel the silly cost of top line clubs imo. If more people started off with sets of Donnays or Dunlops (or better still buy the top line clubs cheaper when the next new line comes out and pro's need to shift the older stuff) the big manufacturers would have to lower the silly prices imo. Good on you AN ignore them and it might not be long before you start beating them, trust me they'll soon shut up then...

user566390
Reply : Sat 28th Dec 2013 12:45

It's a bit like women and handbags, What is the point.

user565751
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 23:51

Another good line to look at is 2 or 3 year old overstock sets of Adams tight lies irons or the rpm or older xtd line. I bought some sweet Adams cavity back GI irons nrand new 4-GW in uniflex stell for 119.00 US. The 1208 model. They feel as good or even better than my Ping G5s I retired to the garage.

user565589
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 21:09

Couldn't agree more, I've only been playing a matter of months too and have sn old set of ben sayers which i bought from my mate who upgraded. Have to say I haven't had any bad vibes from anyone about my gear, I think most people would agree it just ain't worth shelling out a grand on a set of clubs until you get much much better. Crack on A.N.

Ps. I might have a look at some of those dunlop drivers and fairways at sportsdirect.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top