Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Matchplay Championship

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 25th Jul 2012 20:57 | Last Reply

I'm playing in the National Matchplay Championship (even though it is sponsored and promoted by a Golfshake competitor - sorry Darren!). To make matters worse, my partner is a southerner too! Got my first round draw through and have a home tie in a couple of weeks.

Is anyone else taking part?

re: Matchplay Championship
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Jul 2012 22:16

no worries Chris.

Funny how they allow non club handicaps in this competition but not from Golfshake but only the service they run which isn't free

Last edit : Wed 25th Jul 2012 23:19
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 25th Jul 2012 23:04

There is a CONGU only comp as well as the non-CONGU. My partner is non-CONGU so I'm up against the bandits. First pair are 11 & 12 handicap so probably off 3 & 4

user52922
Reply : Wed 25th Jul 2012 23:21

I wish you well, Chris, but my experience in this competition with my partner Darren Atkinson a couple of years back now was an eye opener. Our opponents were both off 14 but one of them hit two rescues to the first par 5 at Sherfield Oaks and proceeded to be 2 under par gross when we lost the match very heavily.

user338942
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 20:32

I played in this last year and got beat in the 1st round. Our tie was an away so play a bit of recon round 3 days before and scored a handy 38 points. Came to the day and could hit a ball straight. I didn't enter this year as I just haven't been playing enough.

In a similar format I have also played in the Northern Matchplay in the last couple of years with mixed fortunes. All in all I enjoy these large scale matchplay comps. Can get you to some nice courses for a relatively low cost

Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 21:34

Thanks for comments and support guys. I'm expecting to come across a team who both have the round of their lives on the same day and against me. I would've preferred to play in the CONGU comp as it reduces the occurence of trophy hunters and bandits (you all know who you are!) but my partner is not a member anywhere.

I can only hope that as my courses are quite tough it will level the playing field somewhat as my handicap does tend to travel quite well and on his day my partner is unbeatable. I just hope he doesn't have a day like that in the North v South!

user289859
Reply : Mon 30th Jul 2012 13:20

I am in the CONGU pairs with my partner. Handily got a home draw against an 11 and 22 handicapper from what is known in the area as a "beginners" course...so hoping that they find my place a bit tougher!

Reply : Sat 18th Aug 2012 17:07

Played our first round match today and won 3 & 1.

Guys we played were off 11 & 12 and to be fair, despite some reservations about the 12 handicapper in the first few holes, I think they were playing off fair handicaps. Went one down on the first and traded holes all the way round the front, never being ahead and turning all square. Finally went ahead on 11 and never lost the lead. Played fairly well as a pair and when I had a bad hole my partner picked up the baton well.

Now for the next round. Dubai is one step closer......

user52922
Reply : Sat 18th Aug 2012 21:43

Well done, Chris, always nice to win a match of some importance. Keep it up.

Reply : Sun 19th Aug 2012 20:23

Thanks John. Hopefully the next round will go just as well

user52922
Reply : Sun 19th Aug 2012 21:36

I played in the mid-week stableford today and one of my playing partners, off 16, shot 45 points. I cannot compete with that.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 00:52

JP,

Why are you a defeatist? 1 birdie, 7 pars and a dropped shot at each of the other 10 holes and you have 46pts?

It is a funny fact that a 15hcp posts a Nett 59 and he is a Bandit, but a 3hcp sets a new Course Record and matches that score and he's had a great day.

user52922
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 07:59

Lyth,

I am not defeatist at all, the golf he played was worth watching. I myself made 1 par, which does place a lot of pressure on the remaining 17 holes, hence only 30 points for me.

You other analogy is flawed as you well know. A low handicapper has the game to do those kind of scores you mentioned, whilst the so called 15 handicapper is obviously far superior to his given handicap and should be chopped viciously.

Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 11:46

I think it's all about consistency John. My club handicap is 17, but my best score around Cherrington is 80 (9 over). In the medal yesterday I shot 96, 8 over net.

We both know I should be playing off a lower handicap than I do at the moment, so does my pro, and we are working at getting me there. When all clicks I can put in a bandit score but that is once in a blue moon and that inconsistency is why I am off 17. The day I am shooting low 80's every round and complaining about a bad round I will be a happy golfer

user52922
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 15:27

Consistency is a very welcome commodity and does not usually come about until one is a very low handicapper.

The player who got the 45 points was not someone having a good day, his skill level was that of a single figure handicap player. I know the difference when I see it.

What is so tragic is that he will not be cut enough to make him an even better player, he will still have that comfort zone to fall back on.

user77012
Reply : Mon 20th Aug 2012 20:53

Lyth, 1 birdie, 7 pars and a dropped shot at each of the other 10 holes

I'd be happy with that on JP's course it plays over 7000yrds I've play it.

Oh , well done Slug! keep it going.

Last edit : Mon 20th Aug 2012 20:56

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top