Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Question/Poll: Live Scoring/Knowing Scores

Posted by: user8 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Wed 18th Jul 2012 15:30 | Last Reply

During a medal or stableford comp do you think an unfair advantage is gained if later groups know scores of earlier groups ?

re: Question/Poll: Live Scoring/Knowing Scores
user23669
Reply : Fri 17th Jan 2014 19:08

I suppose it is a slight advantage to the groups behind if they know the early scores.

Having said that last year in an event that I was in, I was an early starter with a score of 42 points. I was happy with my score but was certain someone in a later group would beat me.

Many years ago in a works society day I knew that I just needed to get 2 points a hole to guarantee my win so I played safe with irons instead of using a wood. Finished with 2 pars & 6 more points.

user23669
Reply : Fri 17th Jan 2014 20:00

I suppose it is a slight advantage to the groups behind if they know the early scores.

Having said that last year in an event that I was in, I was an early starter with a score of 42 points. I was happy with my score but was certain someone in a later group would beat me.

Many years ago in a works society day I knew that I just needed to get 2 points a hole to guarantee my win so I played safe with irons instead of using a wood. Finished with 2 pars & 6 more points.

user24437
Reply : Fri 17th Jan 2014 20:05

Can work both ways in my experience. I was caddying for someone at a charity event at a well known West Midlands golf venue and they were using the VPar live scoring system. I tried to keep him away from it as I reckoned he was doing pretty well (in fact he was joint 3rd at one point), but with three holes to go another member of the group let slip the scores and he realised that with 6 points from the last three holes he'd be in with a shout of victory. Inevitably he didn't score on any of them...

user534659
Reply : Fri 17th Jan 2014 21:23

Sometimes an advantage sometimes off putting.........at the end of the day you still one way or other have to beat the next best score out there!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top