Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Mystery

Posted by: user442064 | Tue 17th Jul 2012 09:52 | Last Reply

On the off chance, does anyone know why Anthony Wall's provisional ball which went out of bounds was disregarded on the 2nd hole, 4th day at the Irish Open. He hit 3 balls of the tee, only one of which stayed in play, but his next stroke was his 4th, not 6th? First ball was not found but presumed OOB, first provisional wildy OOB, second provisional in play (if not well). I always thought this was 5 off the tee?

re: Mystery
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 15:18

Andy,

How do you work this out?

Anthony made 8 on the par5 hole, I didn't see him play the hole and he could have made four with his 3rd ball for that 8.

user442064
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 08:15

Hi David,

I actually didn't see the end of the hole but the commentator described it as he went to his his fifth shot, as follows: Ball 1 possibly out of bounds but almost certainly lost. Ball 2 (Prov) way out of bounds. Ball 3 (Prov) in bounds but in a terrible lie. Shot 4 (3rd ball) Hack out of thick rough. Shot 5 he went on to lay up, and I'm assuming it was then 1 more to the green and 2 putts for 8. I can't find any ruling why it was 3 off the tee not 5, and can only assume that a provisional doesn't count if it was unplayable, where as had the first been miles OOB, the second would have been in play, not a prov, and therefore counted?

user469358
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 12:55

My understanding is that if you play provisional its 3 off the tee and if that ones no good you play another which is 4 off the tee not 5 however this does not answer how his next shot could have been his 4th unless he found his 2nd ball, could it have hit something and come back in bounds maybe?

Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 13:06

Andy,

First, don't take what the commentators say as 100% accurate, sometimes they only go on information they get from others.

It would seem that he played his 2nd ball which you say was "way OoB's" and not his 3rd ball otherwise he has made a BIG mistake.

As you rightly say, there is no way he could be playing his fourth shot with his 3rd ball, so the only way he could have made 8 with his 3rd ball is by holing out from the fairway.

Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 13:08

Jim,

All Provisional Balls are played 'Stroke & Distance' so its 1 - 3 - 5 - 7etc off the Tee.

user442064
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 13:28

I've never seen PROVISIONALS referred to as 1-3-5-7 etc. Thats just ball in play. I remain unconvninced as there appeared to be no way his 2nd ball was ever going to be in play and the commentators were certain this was his 3rd.

Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 15:59

Andy,

Did Anthony hole his approach shot? If he did, it was his 3rd ball and 8 is the correct score.

A Provisional ball is hit in order to save time when the original ball may be 'lost' or 'OoB' and it is also possible to have to hit a 'provisional ball' for a 'provisional ball' but if any PB becomes the 'ball in play' it will always be under 'Stroke & Distance' penalty. So that will be after your 1st, 3rd, 5th or 7th stroke off a Tee.

user442064
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 16:26

No, he didn't hole his approach shot.

The commentators appear to have described it correctly for what actually happened, but there is some clear piece of information missing here as it was 3rd ball, but only 4th stroke, following the tee shot.

Last edit : Wed 18th Jul 2012 16:31
user469358
Reply : Thu 19th Jul 2012 00:28

Dave, I have checked up on that rule and it seems you are right although it does seem a little bit harsh.

Last edit : Thu 19th Jul 2012 00:37

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top