Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

private coaching

Posted by: user437621 | Tue 17th Jul 2012 01:06 | Last Reply

hiya i am intrested in finding out what you would pay to get a lession off your club pro is �75 too much for an hour lession thoughts please

you also get the video stuff with this �75 lession

re: private coaching
user451055
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 07:58

We pay �50 a month and between us get 90 mins of coaching and an on course lesson at some point in the year. I tend to have 1 half hour lesson a month and my husband has weekly 15 minute slots. We get videoed each time and the videos are emailed to us and once a still made it into the club newsletter!

�75 for an hour seems a lot to me.

user473042
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 10:18

A couple of years ago i went on a course through Blackpool fylde collage it held 1hour sessions every week for ten weeks for 110 pound in a group of about 10

user473042
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 10:30

Me again just found this at a club around blackpool this looks a good offer

more 1 lesson credit = �15 6 lesson credits = �75

1 x 30 min lesson = 1 credit 1 x 60 min video lesson = 2 credits 1 x 60 min flightscope lesson = 2 credits

user437621
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 11:53

this is the website i got the price off what do you think worth it or not?

http://www.tpegs.com/

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 13:21

Prices will differ based on quality of the Pro/Academy, who defines this I have no idea. TPEGS is a leading/well respected academy though.

Obviously if you went to David Leadbetter I doubt you would pay �75 for 6 lessons.

user246626
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 21:33

i pay �15 for a 45minute lesson which is very reasonable compared to the �75.and i get video aswell :D

user459944
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 18:20

for �75 p/h i'd want the bugger to tee off & putt it for me, not that i'm tight or anything but think that although a lot of the pro's are worth their weight in gold on lessons tips etc, i think some take the pee with what they charge, (just my opinion) there are so many ranges or golfing places that accommodate cheaper fee's for lessons, it all depends what you want out of it for what you pay, if your happy to stump up �75 for 1 hr and are happy with what you got out of that 1 hr lesson then fair play, but if you walk away after 1hr thinking i havent learned anything its a costly mistake ? when you look at some of the courses i have found some of the pros charge between �50 - �100 for 6 lessons 1hr x 6 , videos assessments, and some even do the custom fitting, again i would be inclined to speak to local users and see what they reckon also before even just booking up, i spent �60 on a 1hr lesson, got bugger all out of it and got more from friends and here than what i got from the lesson !!

user356537
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 19:41

Bradley, it sounds far too much to me. Took my son for his 1 hour lesson with one of the UK's top coaches today - he charges less than �50 and has a waiting list of 3 months so could charge a lot more if he wanted to do so.

user80078
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 21:24

Outrageously expensive if you ask me. I have an honours degree in education and still wouldn't charge more than �20 for an hour lesson. Find someone cheaper!! Good luck....

user52922
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 23:34

The problems with lessons is that in most cases the instructor just does not know how to diagnose the exact problem the pupil has.

After hitting a few balls and watching the flight he should know what is causing these errors, very few can do this correctly just offering to change ones swing to something more like the PGA teachings, which does the player no good at all and therefore a waste of money.

user201647
Reply : Thu 19th Jul 2012 08:46

I go to Nick Rose at Crowlands Heath have been with him for 7 years he charges �30 a hour as dose Oliver Fisbers coach Chris Jinkins there are another coaches there who I think are a bit cheeper. http://www.crowlandsheath.co.uk/ I only have 1/2 hour lessons every 2 weeks and 1 hour lessons some times if I go out on the course

user451727
Reply : Thu 19th Jul 2012 23:04

For �75 per hour I would be expecting Luke Donald to be my teacher!!! I have considered lessons and have been offered them at my club for �20 for 50minutes or 5 for the price of 4. What is putting me off is a friend of mine went along to a local golf shop where the guy gives you lessons, and uses a vectoring system to measure your ball flight and trajectory and club head speed and such like. My friend said the technology was very impressive as you smash balls at a screen with a fairway super-imposed onto it and a computer measures the figures. The pro is then given an idea of what you need to do to improve your ball striking, but basically used it as an excuse to say his Ping G10 driver was not what he needed, and his Adams irons were not suited to his swing speed. He had booked a few of these lessons but did not go back as the Pro was just badgering him to buy new gear from his shop rather than pointing out faults in his swing.

user127691
Reply : Fri 20th Jul 2012 13:07

�75 is an utter rip off, I pay half that for a 45 minute lesson with video and trackman analysis. And that is with Dave Guilford who has 6 tour wins and played in the Ryder cup twice, but I do think he should probably charge more based on what others charge.

Main thing is to get a guy whoever he is and what ever he costs that understands your swing and isn't hell bent on having you swing it perfectly to the PGA teaching manual, as long as what your doing is working and getting the correct results everything doesn't have to be completely spot on.

Video and the trackman do help you understand and see so much more about whats going on in your swing, in my opinion. Others may different though and not need all the technical little bits of info.

user52922
Reply : Fri 20th Jul 2012 23:02

Gary, I am surprised that you are having lessons from David Gilford, yet cannot spell his name correctly.

user38216
Reply : Sat 21st Jul 2012 19:41

Unless you are prepared to put in hard work, remember what you have been shown and repeat this again and again under pressure, it is a waste of money. I bought a grip trainer, read a few books but mostly watched TV coverage and unless you are going to have lessons and coaching (completely different) I would say they are a waste of money.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 21st Jul 2012 20:28

A Golf Pro is a Professional Pearson and warrents the same respect as a Lawyer etc.

�55ph from a garage servicing your car is the same as a Golf Pro servicing your game. Over the years I have got fed up with people saying �25ph is high, yet they charge more than that in their Trade and are just as unhappy when asked for "discount".

user459944
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 00:10

sorry to upset you David but think you very wrong there, yep fair play the pro's work hard at their game and take the necessaries to get where they need to be, and rightly so they should charge for their lessons to improve our game for us just because we arent all naturals, but please �75 for an hour lesson, bit extreme to say the least, how many people do you know on �75 per hour teaching their trade, bet you cant count them on 1 hand !

and when i stick my car in the garage for a service it comes back serviced and or repaired, there no guarantees that a pro is going to do that for your swing or game

Last edit : Thu 26th Jul 2012 00:19
user52922
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 08:51

A lesson which spots the problem, then has it rectified by just giving a fault to correct a fault is a complete waste of time.

The youngsters in the pro shop giving these lessons just do not have enough experience to warrant the charges.

No amount of instruction in the world will be of benefit if one does not feel the presence of what the instructor is attempting to achieve.

Another problem is that after the lesson when things do not go exactly to plan that one reverts to their comfort zone of what does work for them, albeit incorrect.

The game itself is not rocket science but having an ability to be able to hit a ball that is stationary from any setup is paramount. Unfortunately there are not many players who have this ability as can be seen by the number of posts on the subject of ball position.

user451055
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 09:11

John - everything you mention can happen but doesn't always. I have a regular lesson each month and the Pro will often give me a few tips in between on the range when he sees me. My swing is improving and golf game is improving because of this. Not all Pro's are useless. As to what they are charging - well each to their own but when you are paying someone by the hour you aren't just paying for their time right then, you are paying for all their time and effort they have put into being experienced enough to train others, all their equipment they use, all their overheads. Part of my job is training and I charge a heck of a lot more per hour than �75!

user321680
Reply : Thu 26th Jul 2012 15:50

from my experiences of lessons (all 2 of them) and from what others have told me from their expriences it appears to me a lot of pros want to try and teach everyone a text book swing which i don't think is the right thing to do.

All you to do is look at some of the swings on tour and you'll quickly realise how weird wonderful some of them are with a very high percentage of them being far from textbook.

I'd love a tour player to go into one of these pros for a lesson (assuming they didnt recognise the tour player) just to see what advice they would give them.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top