Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Scorching hot putter

Posted by: user410273 | Mon 16th Jul 2012 16:02 | Last Reply

Putting has been my strongest suit for a number of years now, which is a good thing as the rest of my game has suffered with injuries. More recently its reached white hot proportions.

In the 34 rounds I've played in the last year my putting stats hit 28.8 putts per round, the last 5 rounds being hotter than the sun on a hot day at 25.8 putts per round.

Sadly, in truth, this just masks the fact I need to sort out my GIR. FIR is on the button for my handicap and putting is way ahead. Frustratingly, although I'm well up the results sheet most Saturdays I just can't seem to get on the podium.

re: Scorching hot putter
user99350
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 10:36

Totally with you Dan. GIR for me is the most important stat. Don't get me wrong, up and downs from 20 yds are a real pleasure but I can never ever rely on them like Brian can. If I had a short game (tho' as of late it is getting better) I'd achieve much more consistently good scores.

Last edit : Wed 18th Jul 2012 10:37
user451055
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 11:51

Met Dr Mo (Morris Perrin) last weekend - he works as a psychologist with Zach Johnson, Stewart Cink, Nick Watney, Jonathon Byrd and about half a dozen other US players.

He said when it comes to practice you should focus on the scoring shots i.e. the ones you do the most.

He said in an average round of golf you can expect

36 putts 14 drives 14 pitch/chip shots

That is 64 shots already!

He was making the point that you can stand on the driving range and practice with your mid irons as much as you like but how many times in a round do you actually make that shot? How many scoring opportunities are there to stiff a 7 or 5 iron close to the pin?

He said a typical 4 hour practice session for a pro would be 1 hour putting, 1 hour short game, 1 hour chipping around green and 1 hour on the range. Of the hour on the range half of it will be with driver.

Made a lot of sense to me - GIR might be an important stat but a great short game and driver will lower your score.

He also said the answer to the common question 'How come I can hit it on the range but not on the course' is sadly that you aint that good on the range! On the range you hit shot after shot with a club and eventually you hit it well and then continue on to the next club. You come off the range thinking all is well. When playing golf it is just that very first shot that counts - so until that improves that is your level!

user99350
Reply : Thu 19th Jul 2012 11:34

Your post was a good read Judy though it does hinge on the premis that you get that good drive away and having done that make that good pitch etc. We all know that a poor tee shot can leave you with a myriad of choices. The trouble with these trick cyclists is that they present their case in a way that appeals to us, tell us what we want to hear but when you break it down it's the same old blindingly obvious conclusions we had in the first place. Still they've got to sell their books.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top