Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

garmin watch

Posted by: user462431 | Sun 15th Jul 2012 16:43 | Last Reply

Hi all, i was thinking of buying the garmin s1 approach watch this week, has anyone got any good or bad to say about it? Im still not sure thanks sam

re: garmin watch
user430247
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 21:40

my mate has one ,he think it great ,it does help , but is there not a newer one out now that talk,s to you , made by garmin 2 ,

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Jul 2012 13:07

Golf Buddy Voice talks to you but fits in pocket or clips to cap

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/3537/Golfbuddy_Launches_a_Talking_GPS_Rangefinder.html

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Jul 2012 13:10

I don't know if it talks but Motorola are also launching a multipurpose fitness watch for running, cycling plus golf

http://glfs.hk/Q1NM7J

user249902
Reply : Mon 16th Jul 2012 17:38

Phil, I hope you don't use the phone app for competition golf.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 22:00

Phones can offer a lot more than GPS/Laser DMDs. However you could argue that most amateurs would really struggle to gain any advantage from the extra feature set of a smartphone.

Good article right here on Golfshake from Barry Rhodes looking at the R&A rules 'Distance Measuring Devices (DMDs) � The Facts'

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4121/Distance_Measuring_Devices_DMDs_The_Facts.html

user26342
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 06:49

Sam, I am selling my old Skycaddie SGX for �140 + P&P. PM me if your interested.

user43166
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 08:20

That talking device is a pain in the arse!! My mate has one and it keeps going off at "inappropriate" times. Tells you that you are on the 12th tee - no sh*t, I can read that.

I think he sets it off deliberately sometimes though. This guys will do anything to gain a little advantage. Quote - "there's nothing in the rules against gamesmanship". Well strictly speaking, no, but he is fast losing any mates!!

Having said that it seems to be fairly accurate and no monthly subscription. Will tell you front middle and back but not distance to pin.

Feels like a bit of a gimmick to me. A bit like square headed woods (and white headed woods?)

Man, I feel angry today!!

user451055
Reply : Wed 18th Jul 2012 09:51

White header woods? - I tried a Taylormade Rocketballz 5 wood yesterday and hit it regularly a full 30 yards further than my current 5 wood - who says white doesn't work!

Talking watch - I think it would drive me mad! I have a sky caddie which is nice and discrete and tells me what I need to know.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top