Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Sharpening Wedges

Posted by: user250721 | Sat 14th Jul 2012 20:22 | Last Reply

Just a quick poll really, just looking to find out how many of us sharpen your wedges. If you do how often?, does it make a difference?

re: Sharpening Wedges
user356537
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 07:45

Matt, I do mine once at year. It does make a difference but really only if you stike the ball properly - ball then turf. The downside is that sharpened grooves shred golf balls really badly. I rearely loose a ball but with sharpened grooves I probably get through a couple a round.

Of course, care is required to keep them legal.

Richard

Last edit : Sun 15th Jul 2012 07:45
user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 10:06

I never sharpen mine and am not noted for removing dirt from the grooves even, but I am a pretty solid wedge player. I most certainly have never wanted a ball to come back to me when using them, I much prefer the one bounce and check type of shot.

user16106
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 11:35

Is there a knack to that type of shot john or does it just come natural? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 13:43

No knack, Dave, I am a firm believer in working with what becomes ones natural shot and the responses one gets when the ball lands.

Obviously a correct strike is imperative and I have found that, with wedge shots especially, that the ball will stop quickly if the ball is almost scraped off the turf, taking deep divots does not impart the same kind of spin.

Just think of the many times one has hit a wedge slightly thin only to see it check up rather well and surprise you.

If you you play with our own David Marshall you will notice that he stops the ball dead and sometimes pulls it back with his Vokey wedges, but as I have often said to him, it looks mighty impressive, but is of no use if one has not carried the ball to the target in the first place.

user16106
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 21:35

Are you still hitting ball then turf from as close as 20yds John? I almost seem scared to try this. I try to just nip it of the top or if the grass is holding the ball up then I just scoop the ball. I seem to have more control this way. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user52922
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 22:12

Dave, there has to be an interaction between club face, ball and turf to get any form of check. A ball hit without contact with the turf is only going to do one thing, and that is run on.

20 yards is not very far and there would be many different options that might be safer.

user41192
Reply : Sun 15th Jul 2012 23:25

I sharpen mine between 15-20 rounds of golf. As already said, they do rip up the balls but I certainly notice the difference with the ball biting as they say.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top