Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

hybrid or fairway wood?

Posted by: user437159 | Thu 12th Jul 2012 12:36 | Last Reply

has anyone tried swapping fairway woods for hybrids? would it work as well?

re: hybrid or fairway wood?
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 12th Jul 2012 19:56

I asked the same question on the forum a few weeks ago Liam, but asking whether I should swap my 5 wood for a 2 iron hybrid. My view is that the same loft in a hybrid and fairway should go about the same distance

For the record, I will be swapping my 5 wood for a 19* (roughly) hybrid

user80078
Reply : Thu 12th Jul 2012 22:17

I carry three hybrids. 18deg, 20 deg and 22deg. I love them and will not put fairway woods in my bag again. I'm just as long, more accurate and confident with them.

user397946
Reply : Thu 12th Jul 2012 22:51

Carry 19 and 22 degree hybrids and love them, ultimately just so much more forgiving than the fairway woods which i always struggled with.

I think theoretically fairway woods will give you a little more roll and therefore a little more distance but if you can't get them away in the first instance that won't help you much!

user389585
Reply : Fri 13th Jul 2012 16:51

I swipe my 5wood to 20* hybrid working very well for me

user437621
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 00:48

always a wood for me always hade a wood from the day i started playing i tryed a friends hibrid club and felt that it was too light and that i wont hit it as far as my wood i prefer to use my 3iron atm as i keep hitting my wood way right

user451055
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 08:02

I use a 3 and 5 fairway wood but my 4 and 5 irons are hybrids.

I absolutely love the hybrids. Very easy to hit and great for getting out of the longish light rough.

Used to struggle with the woods but they are starting to really work for me and I am getting great distance with them.

I would just go with whatever you feel comfortable with but make sure you know your distances if you swap, last thing you want is a distance gap because you have exchanged clubs.

user99350
Reply : Tue 17th Jul 2012 13:19

I'm of the opinion that a hybrid is a wood and I can get more control from an iron. I'm not against them as I do consider my 5 wood (17*) as a type of hybrid which does get the height and can be hit in from 210 yds .

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top