Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

I cant keep my game going in comps its really frustrating

Posted by: user299141 | Tue 10th Jul 2012 18:00 | Last Reply

Hi well my handicap on here is whatever but it was a long time ago playing for fun. A few months ago i joined my local club ended up on28 and for the life of me i cant lower it no matter what i do

re: I cant keep my game going in comps its really frustrating
user16106
Reply : Tue 10th Jul 2012 20:01

Whats happening? If you cant get below 28 hcap I assume you arnt breaking 100 too often. I see on your old scores you have shot a 87 so you have been fairly decent. Whats happening? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user451055
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 08:10

Daniel - it has only been a few months since you joined the club and started playing in competitions. It is completely normal to go through this so do not give up. You will start to get used to it and will start to make better on course decisions as your brain won't be as scrambled. A few months really isn't a long time. I joined a golf club 2 years ago as a complete beginner so I had to go through the experience thing as well as learning to play, trying to keep up with play and being ridiculously nervous. Sometimes you don't even realise how bad it was until you look back and think 'Why did I do that!!!' I got my breakthrough about 2-3 months ago when I started to play much steadier and my handicap started to tumble. I don't think it will take you 18 months though as you had plenty of experience already! Probably a few more months and then it will settle. Look forward to it as when it happens you have a few weeks of being a complete bandit off your handicap! If the timing is right you might even get your name on a board.

user451055
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 08:11

Also - I made this very simple swing change recently and it has made a world of difference - enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujJt3ZlN01g

user43166
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 08:16

IMHO...

I agree that initially it can be a bit un-nerving when joining a new club. You're playing with people you don't know... you want to make a good impression...

Unfortunately all this is contributing to bringing your game down. You're thinking about all the things you shouldn't be thinking about instead of thinking about a positive shot every time.

I firmly believe that us "average" golfers don't vary too much in god-given talent but those who believe they will play well have a much better chance.

Forget the others, think positive and start winning!! And have fun...

user69191
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 20:16

If you've previously shot an 87 then you've got some ability. If you're telling yourself before the round that you're going to have a shocker then you will. The problem is all in your head as you admit. Try reading 'Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect' or 'Play The Golf Of Your Dreams' both by Bob Rotella.

user451055
Reply : Thu 12th Jul 2012 09:11

That you tube link is a joke!! It is the funniest golf video I have ever seen - please don't try it at home!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top