Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Playing in the rain??

Posted by: user474179 | Mon 9th Jul 2012 17:05 | Last Reply

Does anyone still go out and play in the rain? im very keen to get started but with all the rain were having i don't think i'll ever get to play properly and its bugging me!!!! do you think sod it and play regardless??

re: Playing in the rain??
user451727
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 17:20

Depends on how heavy it is. A couple of weeks ago I was playing when that big thunderstorm hit Newcastle upon Tyne. (the one where the lightning strike hit the Tyne Bridge) It was not a nice experience, the fairways turned to rivers within 15 minutes as I sheltered with fellow golfers in a copse of bushes. If it's just showers and it's warm I would go out, however if it's a downpour I would give it a miss. It's up to the individual, but it's not much fun when you are soaked to the skin.

user432170
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 18:30

I only started playing towards the end of summer last year and spent a lot of time playing golf in wet conditions as long as it was not heaving it down. Seems the conditions have not changed.

user464897
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 18:38

I don't mind getting caught in the rain during a round.However,I will not go out for around if it is raining heavily.

user390191
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 18:52

i dont mind playing the rain but when i played a few months ago i was on the 2nd tee and the heavens just opened and the greens would be good for ducks but we just went on

user80078
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 18:56

Depends on the amount of rain and how keen I am to play. With good waterproofs, shoes and a brolley, you can play provided you are enjoying the experience. Anything less then I don't bother. Have been remarkably lucky lately as it has been dry for our rounds and only starts raining as we come off the 18th. ( on several occasions )

user459944
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 21:31

Joys of being a fisherman (almost Ex Fisherman!!) i dont mind what the weather is so long as its not lightening, don't really mix too well with carbon or steel !! but if its just pouring i can live with that, its amazing how easier the game gets when its not raining !!

user43166
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 08:33

I hate giving up a round if I've started. Only done it once - in a thunder storm. We carried on for a bit but it got really close and, to be honest, a little bit scary!! Have played in every other weather imaginable.

Come and live down South... it's always sunny :-) ... ok, we've had a bit of rain this summer. I'll probably get soaked tonight now...

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 10:59

If it's raining I won't go out, golf is a summer sport after all!

Spitting at the beginning with the forecast saying it's going to dry up I'm out on the course.

Once I'm playing then it depends on the amount of rain.

If I have to put my umbrella up then it's time to start thinking about getting back to the clubhouse.

Waterproofs on and it's most likely a good indication of the need to walk back to the clubhouse.

Sometimes I've stood under my umbrella for ten or fifteen minutes whilst the rain passes.

Russ

user451055
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 12:09

Could not believe we managed a round last night. Arrived at the club for a indoor lesson at 3pm and it started raining like someone had turned a power shower on. The 18th and practice putting green were underwater within 10 minutes. I was sure it would be unplayable for our 5pm match. At 5 it was a light drizzle and only a few puddles remained on the greens. It stopped raining completely by the time we were halfway down the first fairway and it was dry then the whole way round. Ground was very wet and we spent quite a bit of time finding dryer bits of fairways to place the ball but it was definitely playable. We also only saw 1 other person on the course the whole time! With no wind it was a magical evening. And we won .

user52922
Reply : Wed 11th Jul 2012 17:01

For me, golf in the rain is miserable and I don't play golf to get miserable.

user79118
Reply : Sat 14th Jul 2012 22:19

Played today. Completely blue sky when I set out, so didn't bother with brolley. Having a great round in our Committee Cup and had 21 points at the turn. Then the rain started and of course with no brolley etc I got soaked. The rain only lasted for 1/2 a hole but it got everything wet and my game went to pot. 4 holes later and everything was nearly dry again and of course my game picked up again but it was too late. Ended up 4 points off winning score. I suppose I should have had my brolley and wet gear with me but when you carry your bag you tend to want it as light as possible.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top