Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

the right thing?

Posted by: user437159 | Sat 7th Jul 2012 17:50 | Last Reply

bought a played 7 iron today to improve my ball striking. currently using G20s but my ball strikin gisnt great, so to improve that i bought a bladed club as i was told 'if you can hit a blade, you can hit anything' am i right in doing this?

re: the right thing?
user16106
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 18:29

Its right wot you say. If you can hit with a blade.... But why not practice ball stiking with your ping 7 iron? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user437159
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 19:30

G20's dont have neough feel to know if your hitting it well or not.... they're game improvement irons

user16106
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 20:42

What is the 7 iron blade you have aquired? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user437159
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 21:00

titleist MB.

user356537
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 22:47

Liam, no club will improve your ball striking. The quality of the strike is a simple matter of physics...nothing to do with the club. If you deliver the clubhead to the ball in the proper fashion you will hit the ball well with either a G20 or a blade. The G20 is just a bit more forgiving than the blade so you will get away with slightly off centre shots as the sweet spot is larger.

Richard

Last edit : Sat 7th Jul 2012 22:48
user356537
Reply : Sun 8th Jul 2012 08:28

John, I see you are in Warwickshire. Where do you play?

user321680
Reply : Sun 8th Jul 2012 13:37

When was looking at new irons last year I was pushed towards the g15's by virtually all shops and pro's I went to. I got a number of irons to try at the range and one of them was a g15 iron. I couldn't hit them for toffee. It just felt far too heavy and clunky. I ended up going with the i15's which are far from blades but still felt a lot better in my hands and I am far from a good player. I am actually amazed they can be marketed as easy to hit clubs because I thought the exact opposite.

user38216
Reply : Sun 8th Jul 2012 19:01

Just remember you hit the ball with the front of the club! Whats behind it is in your head most of the time. Most iron players I see are scoopers tryingto lift the ball up. Hit down on the ball to impart spin, lift and distance! BTW, I got Ping I15s and they are, in my view, the DB's.

user99350
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 11:06

I play with blades, main reason is that I don't like irons with 'big' heads so all this 'forgiving' means nothing to me. It is right however that if you strike a ball correctly it will get to where you want it to go, more or less., no matter if it's a blade or a forgiving club. If you don't strike it right it will be short (please no comments about thins). I would imagine that the more forgiving club will mean it'll be less short.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top