Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Disaster at Stoke-by-Naylands!

Posted by: user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 6th Jul 2012 21:43 | Last Reply

I've just got back from my practice round at Stoke-by-Nayland GC.

We are playing there tomorrow in the Jubilee Cup (final group match). We need a win or a draw to qualify for the quarter finals. They are top of our group with three wins from three matches.

I lost nine, yes nine golf balls. Two of them deserved to be lost, but the rest just went into the long grass and couldn't be found!

The course was very good but they have to learn to cut all the grass as they had left it to grow long under the trees that run between two fairways. You hit a poor drive and it goes into a small copse of trees, but the grass is two foot deep and no chance of finding it. I do believe that the course are saving money by not cutting the grass here, but it slows down the pace of play and infuriates players when they cannot find their golf ball.

On one par five hole they had two bunkers that completely crossed the fairway. What they had down was to pile the soil from the bunkers onto the front of the bunker. You couldn't see over them from the fairway. But then they had left the grass to grow really long on the mound, it look a right mess!

I'm 100% on the wins at the moment (three out of three matches), but if I play as bad as this tomorrow I'll be losing that record. For those of you who want to see my Order of Merit standings click here:

http://www.jubileecup.com/matches2012/playsing.htm I'm joint 25th at the moment.

Russ

re: Disaster at Stoke-by-Naylands!
user250721
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 21:59

Russ, I played in a open comp at Stapleford Abbotts a week or so ago, had the same problem. Has it been cut down there yet?.

Last edit : Fri 6th Jul 2012 22:00
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 22:02

No Matt, it was just like playing on my home course!

We have just got some new machinery and they have put in a better first and second cut of rough, but most of the long rough is still there.

We do keep asking for it to be cut down to a more sensible length but they keep telling us they cannot do it while it's too wet!

Russ

user250721
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 22:05

I was actually chatting to your pairs partner before the round and he was saying the same thing. Members not happy. Wernt too many 30+ points that afternoon!

It's a shame, personally it ruined my round and for the first time walked away having not enjoyed a round of golf. I'd love to get back when the sun(finally) comes out and it's been cut.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 22:16

Had my practice round with Dave, he's knackered after our round today. So much so that he went straight into the pro shop after the round and booked an electric trolley for tomorrow!

He cannot get his electric trolley and wife in the car, I know which one I'd leave at home!

Once they have cut the rough down I'll give you a shout and we'll arrange a round.

Russ

user250721
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 22:23

That's sounds good Russ. Ill be honest and say I to,d myself I wouldn't go back. But I'll give it one more try. It was super windy that day too.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top