Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

what makes a good golf course ?? give me your thoughts and the best course you played

Posted by: user67421 | Thu 5th Jul 2012 22:06 | Last Reply

I have played quite a few now and still haven't made my mind up what makes a great course. I primarily look at the quality of the turf on the greens been true and even paced and fareways been nicely cut and not ridden with divot holes. Bunkers with a grainy sand and no stones. but I am drawn to something that challenges your game which doesn't always mean lush fairways and carpet like greens.

My favourite so far was the cheshire course at Carden Park

re: what makes a good golf course ?? give me your thoughts and the best course you played
user437159
Reply : Thu 5th Jul 2012 22:18

my course - STAND golf club. Tight fairways, not overly long, fast greens, lots of bunkers. not much rought though, lots of trees..

i think a good course is made by the greens and fairways and a challenge to your game. something like Lytham or Birkdale.

re: what makes a good golf course ?? give me your thoughts and the best course you played
user52922
Reply : Thu 5th Jul 2012 22:46

There are an abundance of excellent courses in this country of ours, yet we all have our favourites. My personal favourite is Saunton which I consider the equal of any of the Open courses on the Rota and for an inland course I would plump for St. Georges Hill.

Having said that I can recommend my new club of Badgemore Park, which is very, very tight with monster trees but perfect greens. An unusual club in that playing to ones handicap will usually mean you are the victor. I can't seem to do it and neither can anyone who I have taken there.

user432170
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 12:32

My Favourite course ( excluding the greens ) is the Cheshire course at Carden Park. It was over the winter period so the greens were not great, but really liked the course overall. Favourite for the greens is Frodsham. They were all in great condition and ran the same. ( got my first chip in here off the rough fringe so a bit biased maybe )

user80078
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 12:52

My favourite course has to be The Old Course at St Andrews. The sense of history (walking in the footsteps of golfing legends) and layout is something never to be forgotten. I know it has its detractors, but I have never enjoyed so complete an experience on a golf course before or since. Unforgettable. How many courses can you say that about?

user99350
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 15:21

There are so many great courses. A good course for me is one where you remember the holes. I'm not a big fan of the courses that exploded in the 90's built on farm land and more often than not just up parallel fairways, up and down with the odd lake thrown in. Muirfiel is a great course and a true leveller. I played that when I was sharking off 6 in my late teens and ended up with 117!! (I never use exlamation marks). There are some good municipal courses too but they lack the attention and expertise of the private club greenstaff. Temple Newsham in Leeds has two great courses. Liam, I played Stand when our cricket team did a Lancs tour and we got a game in there. Great course, many varied holes in good nick, all for a weekday �10.

user397946
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 15:07

Good drainage.....

But seriously, I like a course that has a couple of shorter par 4's to give shorter hitters like myself a chance. Never like looking at a scorecard and seeing every par 4 is over 350 yds.

user437159
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 17:56

not a bad course is it? how'd you get on? was it long ago?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 20:43

Visit a course once and make it your 'best ever' just doesn't work for me. You need to play it a few times in different conditions to get a real feel for it. Some courses have an atmosphere about them, The Old Course is one of them but the best I have ever come across is Royal Troon during an Open. The town becomes part of the course, maybe because Prestwick is nearby.

If I was to advise an area for the 'best ever' golfing break, Troon would top that list. Royal Troon, Prestwick, Barrasie, Glasgow Gailes, Westen Gailes and of course Turnberry. A Golfers paradice.

Last edit : Sat 7th Jul 2012 20:45
user451727
Reply : Sun 8th Jul 2012 22:01

Is there such a thing as a bad golf course? I am obviously not too well qualified to comment on what a good course is, but I just love being on any course. I have just visited Matfen Hall for a family celebration thing and witnessed the course there. 27 holes split into 3 nines, you pick the 18 you want to play and it looks fantastic. I was not lucky enough to play it, but it does look very good.

user99350
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 08:40

Liam, muat have been five years ago. One of the cricket lads, a member of our cricket team and Stand CC was a memeber there at Stand. I managed to beat him with 35 pts. Though he got his own back at snooker in the clubhouse.

user437159
Reply : Mon 9th Jul 2012 20:32

wouldn't happen to be Richard Booth would it? im good friends with him and i know he's a good cricketer.

user99350
Reply : Tue 10th Jul 2012 08:32

Liam, no it was Andy 'Acky' Acraman though I think he left to work over this side of the pennines the year after.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top