Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

winter fairway mats

Posted by: user437621 | Fri 29th Jun 2012 20:44 | Last Reply

hiya quick simple question does your golf club do winter mats in the winter on the fairway (not intrested if you have mats for the tee) just a simple yes or no and which club you play at would be intresting to find out as alot of clubs use this now?

re: winter fairway mats
user246626
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 21:22

Winter mats on the fairway? surely not

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 21:26

Chilwell Manor in Nottingham do.

user16106
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 22:06

Is this a piece of matting you carry around and put your ball on it instead of playing off frozen turf? If so always thought it was a good idea. Heard about people in the desert using them. In answer to the question never ever seen them. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user437159
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 22:48

our club does, its basically just a square piece of artificial turf -

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 22:55

Horsforth GC did, but the Members complained and now there gone.

user437621
Reply : Sat 30th Jun 2012 00:19

it is a square bit of matt that you take around with you when you play in the winter. When you hit a drive down the middile you have to put your ball on it to play it. Most clubs say its to protect the grass in the winter. I think its just lasy green keepers thoughts

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 1st Jul 2012 21:46

No and no (both courses!)

Russ

user369251
Reply : Tue 3rd Jul 2012 10:45

My club (Deane GC in Bolton) uses these artificial plastic strips of 'grass' during the winter, which unfortunately seems to run from October to March. It's pick and place on the mats when in the fairways.

user356537
Reply : Wed 4th Jul 2012 08:33

Until a few years ago their use was compulsory at Kenilworth GC during the winter (usually November - March) but they relented because a lot of member's didn't like them. They are still available to use but are now on a voluntary basis. You tend to find the low hanidcappers hate them, the higher handicapers love them and the mid handicappers use them when it suits them - usually woods off the fairway!

Perosnally, I can't stand them but have used them in Winter League on the odd occasion when I've needed to hit a driver off the fairway!

Richard

Last edit : Wed 4th Jul 2012 08:33
user67421
Reply : Thu 5th Jul 2012 23:05

played some clubs that do and some that don't. I find them irritating as usually you have to buy them and when you hit a wedge the club strips the mat and it goes flying even though they are secured with a tee. Pontefract GC make you play from a tee on farewaya.

user21179
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 06:02

I have never seen these mats that you are talking about and this post is the first I have ever heard of them ! However Ifield Gc has ask players to tee the ball up from the 7th fairway during the winter on occasions that we have played there.

user99350
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 15:30

My club Moor Allerton introduced this last winter and I must say that the fairways this summer are carpet like and second to none (there is an option of playing from the first cut/rough). Whilst I don't like mats I think it is a good idea. Bingley St Ives opt for tee pegs on the fairway. Now's a good opportunity to reflect on course etiquette ie replacing divots and repairing pitch marks. Look after your course or when visiting a course, if you see a pitch mark whilst repairing yours, do repair it and reprimand your playing partners who have forgotten to do it/ don't give a toss about repairing or replacing divots.

user48341
Reply : Fri 6th Jul 2012 23:14

Shirland GC near Alfreton, Renishaw GC near Sheffield and Abbeydale GC in Sheffield all use those flimsy kidney shape mats in the depths of winter. Although they're annoying, especially when you catch the mat handle with your follow through, they do give you a very clean strike - and protect the playing surface. I like the "playing out of the 1st cut idea" - That's certainly an option that other clubs should follow as an alternative strategy when the courses are in danger of being cut up to death by fat shots played by the likes of me with a 3 or 4 iron in wet or freezing cold conditions...

user131525
Reply : Sat 7th Jul 2012 16:21

As you know Peter, I'm a member at Shirland and was always against the use of mats until I played all through last winter on them. Shirland was developed from farmer's fields and has a high clay content, hence it can get very wet. Mats mean that the lottery you can sometimes get during the winter is slightly taken out but also, as Pat says, by the time we get to March/April the fairways are stunning with hardly any divot marks. When it got really wet they went to using mats everywhere except in the trees. It may not be wanted or appropriate on some courses, but for ones like ours that retain the water they are definitely a benefit.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top