Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Help - Top / Slice

Posted by: user425195 | Thu 28th Jun 2012 22:29 | Last Reply

Don't know if anyone can help - until recently after about 9 months playing I have been reasonably confident with my iron play, particularly 7 iron and shorter, I had the odd pull / hook, but other than that, I was happy with my progress. I had also been struggling with my driver, so much so that I just left it in the bag.

However, in the last few weeks I have come to grips with my driver, now able to drive 200+ yards and hitting 2/3 fairways, which should see my scores tumbling.

But - since I have got to grips with using my driver, the wheels have fallen on my iron play. I have two new problems, I am regularly topping the ball, and if I manage to make contact, I have developed a block / push, it's not a slice as it starts right and just goes righter!

I'm assuming that something I have picked up in my technique that is helping my driver to work has impacted my swing with an iron in my hand. That being the case, does anyone have any advice on particular areas of my swing that I should be aware of?

Last edit : Thu 28th Jun 2012 22:35
re: Help - Top / Slice
user52922
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 22:54

Impossible to exactly diagnose without seeing you strike the ball, Greg, but a simple thought might help. Just concentrate on trying to hit the ball into the turf. Down and through is the way forward.

user459944
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 23:08

greg, i found that after using my driver it went to pot on the irons, turned out stance was wrong, try drawing 1/2ft back on the leftfoot if right handed or right foot if left handed, it made a lot of difference to my drives, then when playing irons i found a normal stance balanced perfectly, also pays to check the height on your tee, i found that just 1/2 a ball up (no3 position) on the height of the tee for the driver not only gave me loft but cured my topping it, and on the irons a no1 tee to stop my dead shots (grass cutters)..Tim

user451727
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 16:42

It sounds to me like it could be your stance Greg and the position of the ball within it. A few weeks ago I posted a thread on the forum regarding Jack Nicklaus and his positioning of the ball in his stance. I have had a problem for ages where I was "chunking" the ball with my 5 and 6 iron and it was so frustrating. I was topping every shot with any of my wedges. I have started to copy this Nicklaus thing and I am flabbergasted how much better my ball striking has become. I went out and played just nine holes last week on my own playing the ball in line with my left heel with every club. Instead of my usual 46 -50 shots, I hit 42. I tried again yesterday and the result was 41 shots. It is definitely working for me, I am also playing my pitching wedge in front of my left foot with a narrower stance and it has amazed me the hight I am getting on my shots. Try it greg and see what you think if it improves your ball striking. Regards, Colin.

user52922
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 21:38

Anyone who cannot hit a golf ball no matter where in the stance it lies, lacks hand, eye co-ordination, and will never make a golfer.

user16106
Reply : Fri 29th Jun 2012 22:16

Colin i took your advice and did indeed see an improvement is some of my shots but not with the shorter irons. I think is just give something a go and adjust to suit oneself. This theory is totally at odds with a Justin rose video. He says do not have the ball closer than middle of stance to your left foot with any club. I used to use this theory but didnt always work as I had trouble with longer irons. Dave CAC handed Geordie

user451727
Reply : Sat 30th Jun 2012 08:04

Hi Dave, I looked at loads of videos on youtube, and the Nicklaus stuff made the most sense to me. As you come from your backswing into your down swing, your centre of gravity will move to your left side as your weight transfers. As this happens your arc of your swing should bottom out towards your left heel. This will make the position of the ball important needing to move further towards the left side. It's a simple law of physics I am a high handicapper and the guy who started this thread is the same, so if it has improved my ball striking hopefully it will work for him. I would imagine that better players can move the ball within there stance to change the trajectory and flight of the ball, so that is maybe why Justin Rose has a different set up. My cousin is a 4 handicapper and his set up is: He puts both feet together, ball in centre of stance and moves his left foot 3 inches to the left, and his right foot to suit the club he is using. IE a longer Iron will require a wider stance than say a wedge, but for all his shots he only moves his left foot approx 3 inches. Colin (a Geordie, but not CAC handed)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top