Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Need tips to cure the dreaded shank

Posted by: user26342 | Thu 6th Sep 2007 21:06 | Last Reply

I've just had a complete nightmare, after playing 9 holes on monday with a gross 2 under (couldn't do anything wrong & it included an eagle on a par 5) I had no idea what awaited me tonight, from nowhere I started to shank everything, the more it happened the more I thought about & then the more it happened, it happended on every club except driver & 3 wood.

Does anybody have any good drills or tips to cure this?? I've seen the one where you put an object behind the ball your hitting & you try not to hit it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

Last edit : Thu 6th Sep 2007 21:07
re: Need tips to cure the dreaded shank
user50354
Reply : Fri 7th Sep 2007 08:34

Not sure if this might help John.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/skills/4245006.stm

user52922
Reply : Fri 7th Sep 2007 15:56

John F.

You do realise that a shank on a full shot is the nearest thing to prefection. I have never shanked a full shot but have been plagued with shanking on the very short pitches, which has caused me all sorts of grief and having to resort to cricket shots to try and get it near the pin.

I have had lessons on this subject alone and even though I can solve the problem at the range it immediately returns when faced with the short pitch on the course.

Mine is definitely in the head, but yours is different as it is on full shots. A drill that works on the range for me is to place the ball basket just on the outside of the ball and then swing without striking the basket. Strange at first but becomes quite natural after a short time.

Hope this helps and congratulations on a fantastic 9 holes.

John

user26342
Reply : Mon 10th Sep 2007 18:30

Thanks to all the comments & tips.

I eventually went to my local pro who I have been visiting for a number of years & he spotted my problem in seconds, which was my weight transfer (won't go into too much detail) but the results was that this Sunday I had my best ever round.

After 9 holes I was gross 1 over (24 stableford points)!!!, kind of slipped on the back nine but eventually finished 11 over which also included a 6 on a par 3 (the shank crept back in for this hole).

My putting was on fire as well with me only using the flat stick 29 times. 

I won the monthly medal & my confidence is now sky high, which we all know what that means.......it can only come down!!.

I'm wishing for more of these Sundays to come my way.

Last edit : Mon 10th Sep 2007 18:31

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top