Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

using my woods??

Posted by: user474179 | Tue 26th Jun 2012 17:38 | Last Reply

Sorry guys but you may think this is a really dumb question but i am a newbie to the game.... I have my own clubs which come with a driver, 3 wood and 5 wood, i am very eager to use these but i am scared to use them as i think they'll break as im suprised how light they are! i have only used my irons so far. Should i just take the plunge or wait for my next lesson with the pro ( i'm too impatient and just want to get stuck in..lol)

re: using my woods??
user52922
Reply : Tue 26th Jun 2012 18:15

My personal opinion, Samantha, is that you should wait until you are able to consistently strike your irons straight.

At this stage in your progress it would be a retrograde step to be demoralised by what is certain to be failure with the woods. You need all the confidence you can get at this stage, plenty of time for you to advance to the next level.

user437159
Reply : Tue 26th Jun 2012 18:24

i learnt on a range with just a seven iron, was only a year ago - did me fine!

user99350
Reply : Wed 27th Jun 2012 13:25

Hi Samantha, JP's advice is what you need here. I tried to get my brother involved and he was keen and hit the bal ok until he started with the woods and the doors fell off big time, so much so he hasn't played since. The approach to woods and irons are different as woods are a sweeping shot...it takes some patience and effort. Best that you bed in a good swing which is easily achieved with a mid iron. By all means give it a go with the woods (start with the 5 wood and don't take a divot) but don't get discouraged if end result is not a 280yd carry with a bit of draw. You sound enthusiastic and that's all you need at the moment.... the depression, helplessness and suicidal thoughts will come after 40 yrs.

user80078
Reply : Wed 27th Jun 2012 15:55

John and Patrick are right. Don't rush yourself into trying woods. You can take yourself round comfortably with nothing bigger than a 5 iron and enjoy getting used to the game and course. You have started in the correct fashion by having some lessons, so let the pro move you on when you are both ready. Good luck.

user459944
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 18:12

Sam, its up to you what you tee off with depending on the range of the hole, if like me you are just starting off you would be better sticking with the 7 to plod down the course with, better to hit 3 straight on a par 4 and finish up nicely on the green for a 1 shot putt that smacking a wood / driver and watching it disappear.

user16106
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 18:45

I didnt start using a driver until I was playing off about 18. I was quite happy to knock a 5 wood around 180yds down the middle. I think a 5 wood is a lot easier to hit off the tee than a 3 or 4 iron. It was only when I needed that extra 30-40 yds off the tee I then went to driver. My current driver is still only 13.5 deg so more like a 2.5-3 wood. My advise would be stick with the 7 iron and when you need a bit more length off the tee go to a 5 wood. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user459944
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 19:39

dave do i take it the taylormade has gone back in the garage then if you back on the 13.5??

Sam, if you want some more distance compared to a 7iron of the tee, try practising with the 6 or 5, each will both give you extra yardage without the maximum effort, always best to practice again on driving range before trying on course.

user16106
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 20:39

Tim it is a callaway 454 but it will have to go through a few testing sessions before it becomes a perm fixture. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top