Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf balls on the range??

Posted by: user474179 | Sun 24th Jun 2012 19:42 | Last Reply

Hi, Is it me or does anyone else find that this..... there are 2 different driving ranges that i use one very local and another where i have group lesson but its half an hour away, the local one which is minutes away i cant seem to hit very well but the other range which is half hour away i do way much better, do you think that they use better quality of balls?? im thinking myself that it is the balls!!

re: Golf balls on the range??
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 25th Jun 2012 02:14

Samantha,

It could be the balls, but it could also be the Mats, Tees etc.

Range Balls have to be durable and are usually of solid construction and don't fly too well. Some Ranges use 'Stamped X-Outs' which are much better.

user246626
Reply : Mon 25th Jun 2012 19:47

The range i go tothey use balls that are 20% less distance and i usually really struggle to get any distance. Where as, as soon as i get on the course it goes alot further...

user99350
Reply : Tue 26th Jun 2012 08:47

Ranges vary re the quality of balls, my own course Moor Allerton use high quality Bridgestone which is about as good as you'll get. The main point here is what you're using the driving range for?. I would not use a range if you're trying to judge the distance of a particular club because the ball you're hitting on the range will be different from the ball on the course, also if you're hitting off the deck then there's a world of difference between a mat and turf. Driving ranges more or less are, obvious though it may seem, for driving, or any other type of tee shot.

Last edit : Tue 26th Jun 2012 13:26
user24437
Reply : Wed 27th Jun 2012 00:09

That's the reason I go to a range where you can play off grass. OK the balls aren't brilliant but are consistent, but I don't go there to see how far I can hit it. It's useful because it reflects conditions as you find them on the course, from soft and wet to baked hard. It's also good because they have a practice bunker there with decent sand in it - the sole reason that I no longer worry about going into bunkers anymore...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top