Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

I thought I'd seen it all..

Posted by: user24437 | Fri 22nd Jun 2012 23:02 | Last Reply

Was out on a job today with a surveyor when we go chatting (as you do) about golf after he saw my clubs in the boot of my car. As unlikely as it seems, he happened to have his in his car as well and as we were close to a driving range he knew we went and concluded our business hitting a few balls. Nothing odd there, until he pulled two gloves out of his bag and started hitting a few short iron shots. He then went up a couple of clubs until he got to his 7 iron, which he hit left handed! It turns out he has a mixture of right and left handed clubs in is bag, 7 - 3 are all L/H and the rest are R/H.

His explanation was that he is in fact naturally left handed and played a lot of golf when he was young, but couldn't afford his own set so borrowed his brothers sets (R/H) and just learnt to play like it. He took the game back up again a few years later with his fathers clubs but found the left hand 7-3 in a house move, tried them and liked them but has never got round to getting a full set as he doesn't think he plays often enough to justify buying a full set of L/H. Interestingly, his normal shot shape appears to be left to right whichever hand he plays.

His club handicap is 11...

re: I thought I'd seen it all..
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 09:30

I played in the medal a few weeks ago who played right handed but putted left handed. I thought that was weird but thisis just pushing it to the extreme.

Wasn't there a male pro tennis player who could play just as well with either hand? Sure I saw him serve a fault right handed, swap to his left then serve a second serve ace. Was in a doubles match I think

user321680
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 19:57

That's crazy!

I think I'm right in saying that youtube golf guy Shawn Clement is a scratch golfer playing as a right hander or a leftie

user99350
Reply : Mon 25th Jun 2012 13:41

Is his surname O'Sullivan Tim? I know a guitarist who is right handed but plays the guitar left handed.... some great sounding chords.

user106712
Reply : Mon 25th Jun 2012 15:08

Well I know Phil Mickleson is right handed but plays left handed, I wonder if he can play right handed though !

user93554
Reply : Wed 27th Jun 2012 20:16

I played with a guy back in NZ that could play both ways. Could hit it further right handed, but straighter left handed. When he hit driver (right handed) he hit it a country mile.

Funny thing is he looked like a dead ringer for Tiger Woods.....

user451055
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 07:15

Did you ever play Bridge Pa (Hastings) in New Zealand Andrew? - that has to be one of my favourite courses in the world.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 28th Jun 2012 08:18

Tim, don't you also know someone who putts right handed outside 6 foot but then reverts to left handed at close range ?

11 handicap playing like I'm sure he could get low single figures if he had a full set of clubs.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top