Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

5 wood or 2 hybrid?

Posted by: user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR] | Fri 22nd Jun 2012 22:50 | Last Reply

I'm planning on changing my fairway woods (3 and 5 wood) and have a been wondering if I should make an adjustment to what I have in my bag. Should I swap my 5 wood for a rescue instead?

I can only carry one or the other as I have 14 clubs in my bag already and the plan would be to get a 2 iron equivalent. There is about a 2 club gap between my 3 iron and 5 wood so the idea is get a rescue with a loft that puts it in the middle of the 3 iron and 3 wood (I could get a 6 wood instead too). I hit my fairways well both off the tee and off the grass but I was thinking I may also get more versatility with a rescue.

Not sure what to do and I hate making decisions. Thoughts?

re: 5 wood or 2 hybrid?
user26342
Reply : Fri 22nd Jun 2012 23:39

I use my 3 hybrid more &more & my 5 wood is becoming redundant.

user389585
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 07:31

I use 3 hybrid (20�) this cover my gap between 3 wood and iron

user80078
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 12:59

I use 3 hybrids ( 18, 20 and 22 deg's) . The 18 is super for longer par 3's and driving it off the fairway into the wind. The 20 gives me a left to right shape whilst the 22 hits a lovely draw. What I lose in length from discarding my 3 and 5 woods, I make up for in accuraccy. I think you can see why I am a fan of hybrids. Good luck with your next choice.

user38216
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 17:39

Chris, i've already done this. The Taylormade 3 Hybrid is lofted like all others 2H, i.e. 18 degrees. Its shape is more like a fairway but with offset. I love it, Johns got same and love it too. My low clubs are D, 3W, 3H then 4 iron - good spacing..when I hit them!

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 18:16

Definitely don't want an offset Dave. It's the main reason I am looking to swap out as my current fairways are slightly closed and I am fighting them all the time

Starting to think a rescue might be the way to go

user430247
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 20:17

i have a 15 degs a 18 deg both nike sq hybirds ,,, but my best 1 that can pick a ball up anywhere is my 18* dunlop cost �12 ,its not abig hitter but it does the job ,ever time from in the trees to long gress

user11501
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 23:31

Chris, I too have 3 wood and then 18,21 degree hybrids then 4i. Feel this gives better balance to my bag and are easier to hit. Knowing your game I would recommend a 2 hybrid rather than 5 wood

user546815
Reply : Tue 4th Feb 2014 22:30

i use a 7 wood and a 4I hybrid so D 3w 7w 4IH the spacing between everything is ideal

user518504
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 08:13

I still kick it old school and use a Ping Eye 2 2 iron which I love - keeps it super low off the tee so is great into the wind and I find it really accurate - it's my go to club if I want to keep it on the fairway but still get good distance - has surprised many an opponent over the years!

user77012
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 11:05

I would favour a 7wood preferably an RBZ tour which sits square to open.

user543623
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 21:55

I used to carry driver, 3 wood, 5wood and 3+4 hybrid but a change of equipment now I feel as someone who isn't the longest player I am getting better scores by dropping the 5 wood altogether and my new irons so I have driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid then onto my irons and added an extra wedge in ,this gives me more options on the fairway which negates having less choice off the tee

user571595
Reply : Fri 21st Feb 2014 18:22

Chris,

It's all in the mind. On a micro level take a left handed 9 iron, turn it upside down and play it right handed. Watch yourself hit a ball 8 feet from the pin at 120 yards. On a macro level try playing with only a driver, 4, 7, wedge and putter. Very few players would shoot higher scores with a five club bag. Indeed after a few weeks their average scores would likely fall as they became more adaptable and clever. (Look what was in the bags of elite golfers 100 years ago). That's how frivolous modern clubbing has become - 14 clubs, no good player needs that many. (I fear a retort coming about my personal drivers inventory).

If, after reading these words of wisdom you still prefer to buy a golf club rather than a small school in Africa, perhaps buy something pretty? Then if you don't like it pass it on to your wife (if you have one, apologies if she died or ran away) as a gift, explaining that you tested it before buying and desperately want her as a playing partner. She will be moved by your thoughtfulness, never again resent you playing golf 17 times a week, and be delighted by her cleverness in finding an excuse not to accompany you. On the other hand if you like it you are still a winner.

Pretty is always best when choosing golf clubs. Pretty forms the backbone of the modern golf industry, and manufacturers always know best. Surely no-one could possibly argue with that? P.S. Does either choice offer a pink grip option?

Last edit : Fri 21st Feb 2014 19:41
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 21st Feb 2014 22:26

Oh how I've missed you Ivan!

I went with the 2 hybrid. The pink grips weren't available so I had blue and white

The wife is neither dead (though I tried recently, that's another story) nor has she run away (though that is threatened on regular occasions). She is however a blossoming new golfer who understand my need for the shiny and new. She is also the more likely to drag the reluctant other out to the driving range to practice a new drill of a bitterly cold windy and rainy night in January because practicing alone is boring (I have experienced this)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top