Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Putting Tips

Posted by: user51365 | Thu 21st Jun 2012 20:57 | Last Reply

Hi all, first post long time member usually just logging scores.

Anyone got any tips on how I can make fewer putts, I currently average 33 putts. This isn't soo bad but I struggle with distance control. Or should I just plonk my irons closer to the pin, which would be nice...

re: Putting Tips
user459944
Reply : Thu 21st Jun 2012 21:07

John, have you tried practising clock method on putting ? 6 balls round the hole 4ft out or what you feel comfortable with, putt them all move them back one or two feet do it again, so on so forth, has improved mine slowly but progressively. Tim

user250721
Reply : Fri 22nd Jun 2012 06:49

John. I have just tested and reviewsed(for Golfshake) a real cool product that may be of use to you, watch this space as the review will be going live in a week or so.

user320021
Reply : Fri 22nd Jun 2012 19:54

John, I would say it depends on your GIR stats, if you are hitting lots of greens they are likely to be from a further away and therefore leaving longer putts. if you are missing lots of greens, chipping on from around it you would expect to chip closer than the long irons, therefore make more one putts/ have less three putts.

I wouldn't be worried about the number, more think about how it works with your other stats. I find the rounds when I'm playing better and therefore hitting a few more greens I tend to have higher putting numbers, but my game is probably better from that style of play.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 12:36

Two things, practice your putting & practice your putting.

The putts that are near the hole need to go into the hole (say six feet and in), the rest need to be put as near to the hole as you can get them (anything over six feet).

If you are confident that you can hole most putts from six feet and in it makes the longer putts easier as you have a larger area to aim for.

Russ

user80078
Reply : Sat 23rd Jun 2012 12:46

I think Colin is spot on. Perhaps you might analyse the length of first putt you are making over a typical round. If you are chipping more than long putting, your putting stats can and will look better than if you are hitting greens in reg'n. Provided you are not getting screwed up over missed short ones, I would just keep practising and stay positive. Good luck John.

user51365
Reply : Sun 24th Jun 2012 12:52

Some good points raised.

I do really need to practise my putting as I don't really do any practice of anything to be fair.

Having looked through my stats it would appear I would need to hit my approach closer to reduce the number of putts. I am being a bit picky as the putt number isn't so bad.

user99350
Reply : Mon 25th Jun 2012 13:51

All good advice. 33 putts around....what I wouldn't give for that (tho' as mentioned depends on if youre a fair distance from the pin or on an up and down. Anyway, a good tip which you can do at home, is place a ball 1 cm from the heal and toe of your putter and practice your stroke. If you don't hit either ball you can be fairly sure you're hitting the ball square. Reduce it to .5 cm if you're feeling smart arse.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top