Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

More height when driving.

Posted by: user16106 | Mon 18th Jun 2012 18:50 | Last Reply

I purchased a new (to me ) driver the other day as I wanted a bit more length off the tee ( who doesn't?). I went from 13.5 deg MAC to 10.5 deg Callaway 454. I stupidly took it to society comp without even trying it out. 1st hole hit it low about 150yd slightly left. 2nd hole hit it low into pre fairway rough about 60 yds. It went back into my bag for the rest of the round. Question: Would I be right in thinking that keeping weight on my right foot will promote more height to the drive. I am currently hitting about 200 yds. 220 with a good hit. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

re: More height when driving.
user24437
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 19:19

Yes and no. It could be a lot of things, ball position, shaft stiffness or body position. Not got time to go into the mechanics just yet, but I may come on and bore you to tears later. Not done it for a while.....

user16106
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 19:29

Ill look forward to that Tim. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user38216
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 20:10

Dave, you aint going to find the answer on a website. Pop and see your local pro for half hour.

user338942
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 20:31

Hi Dave, You seemed to hit a pretty low ball with your old driver, so surprise to me that taking 3* off you driver you have ended up with those results. As a quick fix try teeing the ball higher and further forward in your stance. Not making the transfer from right to left will result in power loss to the point where you may as well play 3wood.

user419168
Reply : Mon 18th Jun 2012 22:16

Dave, now I'm no expert and don't understand "swing mechanics" but try drawing the club back away from the ball keeping the head close to the ground on the initial back swing ................

I had the same problem when I first bought a driver and it worked for me.

Good luck

Paul

user99350
Reply : Tue 19th Jun 2012 08:36

Dave, coming down 3* so quickly you're asking for trouble. These 10.5* drivers are not an easy club to use. For one thing you will be losing the 'launch' (for want of a better word ie getting the ball up in the air) that you had with your 13.5* and a well struck 5 iron will get better reults than a poor drive. As for keeping your weight on the right foot?? you should be balanced at address, your weight should transfer to you left by the time your at the top of your swing and be on your right time of inpact, hopefully square. You want to be catching the ball on the up at impact. You should really be getting onto the practice area and iron these things out. Failing all that go back to your 13.5* or as Dave suggests use your 3 wood. Either way your confidence will have taken a battering and it may takea while to get back to where you were before.

user410273
Reply : Fri 22nd Jun 2012 19:13

Maybe wear high heels?

Sorry Dave, I just couldn't stop myself...

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top